Thursday, May 03, 2007

Personal movie quiz

If yesterday's meager excuse for a post wasn't an indicator, you should know that I am 100% fried. With that being the case, what better thing to do than answer this personal movie quiz meme that was on a film nerd message board I frequent? It's a better fit for my other site, but it'll allow me to share a little here and expend a minimum amount of mental energy. Play along on your site, if you like.

1. Name a movie that you have seen more than 10 times.

I can't think of any film I've seen that many times. Maybe there was something that played on The Disney Channel when I was a kid that I saw upwards of ten times, but I doubt it.

2. Name a movie that you've seen multiple times in the theater.

The Departed and The Prestige are recent examples. (I'll pass over those that I wouldn't have seen a second time but did as part of the festival last week.) For an unexpected example, I've seen Jacques Tati's Playtime twice theatrically in 70mm. A 27" TV is not big enough to make sense of this brilliant film.

3. Name an actor that would make you more inclined to see a movie.

Being a critic, there's not much choice involved in what I see. If it's opening and it's screening, chances are I see it. That being said, I'm happy to see Billy Bob Thornton show up, even when the movie isn't any good. Classics division: Cary Grant.

4. Name an actor that would make you less likely to see a movie.

Tyler Perry (two Madea movies were enough for me), Rob Schneider

5. Name a movie that you can and do quote from.

I can tell you who was in a movie, but I'm not very good at remembering lines. (Could it have anything to do with not watching the same movies over and over?) Let's say Office Space.

6. Name a movie musical that you know all of the lyrics to all of the songs.

At one time I might have known all of the lyrics to Little Shop of Horrors. Other than that, A Hard Day's Night is the closest I can think of. Maybe Moulin Rouge!, especially with all of its pop song collages.

7. Name a movie that you have been known to sing along with.

Can't say I've done this.

8. Name a movie that you would recommend everyone see.

In theaters now: Hot Fuzz. On video: The Man in the Moon. (No, not the Andy Kaufman biopic.)

9. Name a movie that you own.

Just one? The randomizer selects Sullivan's Travels.

10. Name an actor that launched his/her entertainment career in another medium but who has surprised you with his/her acting chops.

Dwight Yoakam. And he's not bad at that music thing either.

11. Have you ever seen a movie in a drive-in? If so, what?

The last I remember seeing was the Charlie Sheen movie The Chase at the Melody 49 Drive-In. If memory serves, it was close enough to home--three miles?--that I could pick up the movie audio on a radio. (A search shows that it's still open.) I didn't see a lot of drive-in movies, but I know the Michael J. Fox vehicle The Secret of My Success was another.

12. Name a movie that you keep meaning to see but just haven't yet gotten around to it.

One of these days I really ought to see Grand Illusion and The Rules of the Game.

13. Ever walked out of a movie?

Ordinarily, no. Two recent examples... I walked out of Eagle vs. Shark at the Cleveland festival because I was tired and irritated with the guy whooping it up behind me. I walked out of Celine and Julie Go Boating because I probably slept through half of the first 45 minutes, had no idea what was going on, and didn't feel like sticking around for more than three hours to see if I got it. Of the more official variety, Encino Man way back when. Some friends wanted to bolt.

14. Name a movie that made you cry in the theater.

The live-action Charlotte's Web was the most recent example.

15. Popcorn?

Absolutely not.

16. How often do you go to the movies (as opposed to renting them or watching them at home)?

It's probably safe to say four times a week is average.

17. What's the last movie you saw in the theater?

Lucky You

18. What's your favorite/preferred genre of movie?

I don't know that I have one. It depends on the mood I'm in.

19. What's the first movie you remember seeing in the theater?

I don't trust my memory on this, especially since I doubt I saw this in its original year of release, but I'm going to go with Gus, the placekicking mule movie.

20. What movie do you wish you had never seen?

Hostel

21. What is the weirdest movie you enjoyed?

The Happiness of the Katakuris

There may be weirder movies, but this immediately jumps to mind. This summary says all you really need to know. I thought it was hilarious.

22. What is the scariest movie you've seen?

Se7en freaked me out quite a bit. The Descent was pretty intense too. In the "not graphic but disturbing" category, I'd have to go with Rosemary's Baby.

23. What is the funniest movie you've seen?

This is Spinal Tap is up there.

While I'm at it, a personal not quite top ten, in alphabetical order and subject to change on a whim...

-The 400 Blows
-After Life
-Annie Hall
-Before Sunrise and Before Sunset
-Metropolitan
-Playtime
-Rear Window
-Stranger Than Paradise
-This is Spinal Tap
-Three Colors trilogy (Red is the best, but it's hard to separate it from Blue and White)
-The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
-Vertigo

1 Comments:

At 6:28 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I need to save this for reference because you've seen movies I've never even heard of...will have to add a few to my netflix : )

I played along, so check out my blog for my answers.. and try not to make fun of my lame tastes in movies lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home