Saturday, November 15, 2008

To the high seas

Seaman's Cap

Yarn: Plymouth Encore (75% acrylic, 25% wool; worsted weight)
Color: 1233
Needles: US 7 and 8 circulars
Stitches: 102

With all my stitch-twisting troubles in my last hat knitting attempts, I'd forgotten how quickly I can knock out one of these. Per the yarn's gauge I went up a needle size, which made this thing go even faster. I made the hat slightly longer than the others I've knitted because I wish my hat could be pulled down a little more to cover my ears entirely. Since it's headed to the Christmas at Sea program of the Seamen's Church Institute, I imagine a bit more coverage can't hurt.

It's not a flashy piece of work, but it should get the job done. I think the hat is knit pretty well, so it has that going for it too. There's no ladder where the project was joined in the round. I have that problem sometimes, so I'm pleased that it might even be able to pass as a store bought hat. The cable cast on row looks nice and has a good amount of stretch.

I'm half tempted to get started on another one of these hats for myself, but Christmas knitting must resume. Plus, I'm curious to see how my latest yarn purchase knits up in the pattern, assuming I can make sense of or stand to do the star stitch in it. Looking at the pattern again I realize that I may have made the mistake of not purchasing enough yarn--it calls for one and a half to two 100-gram skeins--but we'll see what happens. Sometimes when buying yarn I misremember yardage and skein weight. Note to self: write it down.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:27 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Since you're making it for a woman, why not do fewer stitches and make it a skinny scarf? That way you can make it long enough with the yardage you've got. It uses a multiple of 4 plus one extra, so you could do 21 or 17 instead of 25.

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The hat looks good. I second Donna's suggestion on making the scarf a little thinner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home