Sunday, November 09, 2008

Check

Mystic River

Pattern: What a Mighty Good Manly Scarf
Yarn: Cascade 220 The Heathers (100% Peruvian Highland merino wool; worsted weight)
Colorway: 2424
Needles: US 7s
Stitches: 28
Size: 5 inches wide, 72 inches long

Another Christmas gift can be checked off the nonexistent list. I underestimated how much time it would take me to finish this today, but considering I was cooped up at home for most of it, I had plenty of time to work on it between naps and TV viewing.

I'm crediting the pattern linked above because I followed it, but as far as I can tell, there's nothing particularly unique about this than if you start knitting in moss stitch. My usual method is to give the FO the same name as the pattern, but I couldn't bring myself to call this scarf that name. I've chosen Mystic River because the stitch pattern reminds me a bit of diagonal waves and the color reminds me of the blue-grey tint to the film's cinematography (or maybe the poster).

There's a row or two near the middle where I may have goofed up something. The pattern looks just slightly off to me, but it's only on one side, so maybe it's all in my head. I'm really happy with the scarf's square, rounded cast on end, so I'm disappointed that the sewn bind off end has my usual problem of curving out into a bell-like shape. It's not as extreme as others I've made but still...

I'll admit to getting bored with this on several occasions. Since the pattern is a four row repeat (which is really just doing one row twice and then reversing those stitches for the next two rows), it took more concentration than I expected to keep track of what row I was on. That got annoying. The only reason why I didn't weave in the cast on edge before finishing was so I had something that I could use to keep track of what row I was on. A row counter would have been excessive for this project.

I'll take better pictures tomorrow. I finished the scarf after the sun set. Taking photos in my place at night usually means the colors come out strangely.

I'm not sure what's next, although I'm thinking I ought to get the charity hat knit soon.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray! Another one bites the dust. (now that song is running through my head).

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

I'm late catching up to this month's blog entries, but your note about the sewn bind-off caught my eye. That bind-off is intended to be stretchy, so it uses a lot more yarn than a normal bind-off to allow for stretch. You'd normally use it on a toe-up sock, top-down hat, or a shawl edge where tightness would be deadly. On a scarf, you want the cast-off to match the cast-on in size. Using a too-stretchy, too-much-yarn cast-off causes the bell shape. Just binding off normally (k2, pass first stitch over second, k1, repeat until done) with a needle a size larger will produce a perfect edge for a normal scarf in my experience. Just my $.02! The scarf looks beautiful, though -- lovely yarn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home