Thursday, November 06, 2008

Projects current and future

Slowly but surely my brother's scarf gets closer to completion. Currently it measures approximately 59 inches in length, although I have to rip out a couple inches due to accidentally knitting the same two rows over four rows and producing a ribbed section that should be moss stitch like the rest of the scarf. It seems like the scarf that won't end, but in actuality I should be able to finish it this weekend.

But then what? My sister-in-law has asked for a scarf to replace the one I knitted for her two years ago. I've been considering making one that's cabled, but I'm not sure if I will have the patience to do that. Pattern and yarn selection continues to wait.

As for the rest of my Christmas knitting, I'm thinking about making a pair of slippers for my dad. The only slippers I've made were knit flat and then seamed, and that was back in the relatively early days I had as a knitter. Now I can knit in the round and take into account the stretch factor, things I didn't especially concern myself with back then.

That may do it for gift knitting this holiday season , although I still owe a hat for the Christmas at Sea program. I pledged to make one for it months ago but haven't gotten around to it. Guess it's time to put up.

Of course, I also have that new pair of socks to cast on again now that the one I made that needed frogged has been undone. I've heard the suggestions that I make a sweater. The time of year is right for it, but I'm not sure that I'm ready temperamentally. I'd prefer to wait until I've lost some of the weight I regained, but there's the risk of that being a perpetual excuse for not doing it.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 6:50 AM, Blogger Ruth's Place said...

Let's see, you've done scarves, hats, bags, socks...I'd say a sweater has to be next.

If you don't want to commit to an adult sweater you could always make an baby or child one...

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My next "never-done-this-before" knitting project is going to be a baby sweater. They make such wonderful gifts and it seems challenging but not overwhelming.

Now, if I could just finish that second sock ....

 
At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try the chevron scarf for your sister in law. It's knit with fingering weight yarn so the world should be your oyster in color selection. No more pressure for the sweater, I understand your logic in wanting to wait a little bit.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

It's OK with the sweater suggestion. I know that those of you who'd like to see me do it mean well. I'm just not sure that I'm mentally ready for something like that yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home