Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Gameday

Regardless of the candidate you support, there's no doubt that today is a big day. So, like I've done on some travel days, here's a bloggy--read: really self-indulgent--walk through it. For those not inclined to read something political, what follows is not particularly political although certainly has stronger election elements as the day progresses.

12:11 a.m.: Go to bed.

4:19 a.m.: Wake up and glance at the clock. Ugh. I fall asleep again without much trouble.

pre-8:00 a.m.: Honestly, I don't remember when I got up, but it was between 7 and 8. My circadian rhythm is all off from the time change.

8:40 a.m.: Go across the street for a breakfast of one blueberry pancake (no butter) and sides of bacon and home fries with coffee and water. Although the place has a television, I'm blissfully out of earshot and can ease into the day.

9:30 a.m.: Arrive at work. Yes, I know I said I was taking the day off, but there was one thing that I needed to do but had forgotten. I take care of this quick but important task and then decide to see democracy in action.

10:00-11:20 a.m.: Go to two polling places to shoot video for the news. Since the TV station is only available in the community where I would be taping, I figured that I had a better-than-average chance of getting to shoot footage inside. Sure enough, I received approval. The school where the voting was occurring was my old polling place. The line was similar to what I experienced in 2004. Poll workers reported waiting times ranging from 45 minutes to an hour fifteen. The nice thing, unlike the rain-spattered Election Day four years ago, is that today is beautiful, sunny, and warm.

I walked around the neighborhood shooting various campaign signs and then skipped over to another elementary school for some other shots. Again, I didn't have any trouble gaining permission to videotape inside, which surprised me a little. A poll worker approached me about it, but once I pointed to the person who said it was OK, he backed off. I shot as quickly as possible and tried to deflect a few glares I received. The lines were longer, but there were also more voting machines. All things considered, people seemed to be in a good mood.

12:25 p.m.: Go to see Changeling. I missed the screening when I went to do early in-person absentee voting, so there was some nice symmetry in seeing it today. I wasn't expecting to receive a call to help with volunteering, although if the theater had been empty, I would have left my phone on. Anyway, I figured it would be nice to take a break from the election, especially since there isn't news at this time of day, even if it meant seeing a depressing movie.

There's a small detail in the film that has nothing to do with anything, but it prompted a memory. Angelina Jolie's character works at the telephone company. Mention is made of a party line. (Mind you, the film mostly takes place in 1928.) It got me wondering if party lines are still in use and reminded me that my great aunts and uncle had one at their farmhouse. One of the other parties on it was a cousin, which, I suppose, reduced the potential appeal of eavesdropping...or maybe it did the opposite. I can vaguely recall answering their phone once but having picked it up on the wrong ring.

3:15 p.m.: Call the parents to hear what they experienced at their polling place. They walked right in without any wait. There's a small town for you.

3:29 p.m.: Decide to go to another knit night for awhile this evening instead of heading downtown for the Democratic Party party. It would be cool--or crushing (see: four years ago)--to go to the shindig, but I don't know that it is worth the effort. Plus, I've seen the big line of network satellite trucks lined up outside the Statehouse and been in the same room as Jerry Springer on an Election Night. I suppose I could check out the other event with Jay-Z, Mary J. Blige, and Sean "Diddy" Combs, but I'm starting to feel wrung out from today's anticipation and prefer to watch the returns at home.

3:48 p.m.: See that the campaign has sent an e-mail pointing out volunteer opportunities still available in the area. Win or lose, the organization I've seen is astonishing compared to other campaigns I've helped with. Nothing's being taken for granted.

7:00 p.m.: LittleWit invited me to a knit night that's in my office's neck of the woods--and not particularly out of the way from home--so I took a break from obsessively checking news sites to attend. If I'd been uneasier about the result I'm expecting, I probably would have stayed home.

8:56 p.m.: Get in the car after knit night and glue my ear to NPR for election updates. Sounds encouraging but my home state has yet to chime in.

9:25 p.m.: Ohio!

9:57 p.m.: Received an excited IM about Ohio going blue. Considering the beating that this state has taken regarding the last Presidential election, it's gratifying for it to play a key role in signalling the direction things are heading tonight.

11:00 p.m.: Looks like it's officially over. I don't know what to say, and I don't know that there would be any need for me to say it if I I knew.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 1:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun Recap of your day. It is a historic day. :-)

Regarding party lines. We had one when we lived out in rural Wayne County, about a 35 minute drive from the College of Wooster. It was the 70's to early 80's and we shared a line with two other families. I don't remember it being an issue. Thankfully we were friends with both families so that made it a bit easier.

Back to the election. I am so excited about our new First Family.

Happy Knitting!

 
At 1:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm at least happy to live in a state that made a different choice.

I may put my knitting down for a while and return to another craft of mine, rosary making. I feel the need to start praying deeply.

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger Ruth's Place said...

As a non-American, I was very, very moved by the speech given last night.

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you come out to knit night. I think it was a good length of diversion. As soon as I got home I grabbed the colored pencils and the Color Your Own Electoral College Map the boy and I were going to color. But me being a "numbers" person couldn't bring myself to color with so few precincts reporting so I held off and then the boy fell asleep.

McCain conceding early on in the night (early on for someone who remembers 2000...) seemed to be a good sign to me. IT also reaffirms the class that I have seen come from him in the past. I didn't stay awake to watch Obama's speech because the local news channel kept showing stuff I didn't care about like the weather report. ;) Plus I was whooped. Now I need to find a youtube version of it. Someone somewhere must have a recap. I am certain of it.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

I've found his speech in two parts: Part 1 and Part 2

Really inspiring. Keep the Kleenex nearby.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Hooray!!!! We were part of history in the making!

I loved reading about party lines. I grew up with one in my house in the 70's and early 80's. It became annoying as a teenager when a neighbor was on the line and we had to wait, and wait, and wait to use the phone, or a neighbor would interrupt our calls asking to use the line! haha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home