Monday, November 03, 2008

Where is my mind?

The eve of Election Day feels a little like Christmas Eve in that the big day seems like it's taken forever to get here. I can't say for certain--and I'm too lazy to look it up--but I'd wager we've had two Christmases since this long journey began. Perhaps it was better that I had better things than politics with which to preoccupy myself today. I might have exploded with cautious optimism otherwise. So where has my mind been?

-My car

I make no claims on my automotive knowledge, but I take some satisfaction in identifying that the serpentine belt was indeed part of the problem with the screeching hell on wheels that my car became Saturday night. (Seriously, I was embarrassed to be in the driver's seat and sitting in traffic while the vehicle screamed like a banshee. For that matter, it was painful to my ears at times.)

Unfortunately, that was merely a symptom of a greater problem. The spring in the tensioner broke, which in turn caused the belt to get chewed up. While I wasn't thrilled to shell out more than I'd anticipated to get the car fixed--who is?-- but it would appear that I also caught a break. The faulty tensioner could have caused other items to stop operating, which potentially could have led to catastrophic engine failure. Yikes.

So, as perturbed as I was that this car problem emerged, I'm relieved that I didn't drive much after noticing it and got it fixed without incurring major damage (and probably the need for a new car). All in all, the local mechanic charges fair prices and gets the work done quickly, so this was a lot less painful than it might have been. Sometimes it pays to admit that you don't know what you're doing and leave it to the professionals. I have no problem doing that with cars.

-More student drama

I hoped that the drama from last week might have dissipated by now. If it has--and I'm not certain it has--more stuff took its place. Gossip and other social interaction conflicts are stirring the pot. Small schools have their advantages, but these qualities are not part of them. There was also an issue with some serious work study timesheet padding that I had to address. Ugh. Anything else you want to throw at me today?

-Election volunteering

I've offered to volunteer on Election Day, although how much I'll be needed in the capacity I'm willing to work is up in the air. I've been told that they need people to knock on doors, which I'm leery about doing considering my job. I've donated some supplies, although I'm disappointed in myself for not doing as much as I'd planned.

-Knitting

My brother's scarf is 44.5 inches long after one skein. I'm satisfied with how it's turning out, but I admit that the ridiculously simple pattern is starting to bore me.

-Blogging

I've been kicking around the idea of liveblogging Tuesday, but I'm not sure what I'll be doing or how frequently I'll have access to a computer. I haven't decided whether I should bother going to the big Democratic party downtown (where I'm unlikely to know anyone anyway) or stay home to watch the returns (where I'll miss out on the group celebra....I can't say it just it). My decision regarding where I'll be in the evening will be a major factor, so I guess all I can say is that if you see an entry with individual times and comments on it, check back as I'm probably updating it throughout the day.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 4:35 AM, Blogger Ruth's Place said...

Sorry about your car, but glad it wasn't worse!

I have my fingers crossed for your election day. I've bookmarked a live results site on the computer in anticipation..

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I am glad that the car issue didn't result in total engine failure. As for your evening you could come join us at knit night. Although I don't know how many election returns can be watched at Barnes and Noble, I doubt any of the exciting info will be available until after knit night is over. :)

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I could not disagree more with your political views, you'll understand that I'm not particularly interested in this topic or whether or not you blog about it. I'd be leery of knocking on doors regardless.

A trusted mechanic is truly a magnificant person.

My niece and nephew attend small colleges/universities. There is no shortage of drama. I had hoped it would reduce after no school; alas, no such luck.

Good luck with the scarf. I'm fighting the second sock of a pair, and I've ripped the thing out at least 15 times. My patience is gone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home