Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Turning two

Two years ago today Knitting Confidential was born. I started this blog a mere eight days after learning to knit. This is the 711th entry I've written. In addition to coming to you from my Ohio home, I've blogged from Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, and Texas. I've even brought you my road version of inclement winter weather coverage. And of course I'm doing that Blog 365 thing in which I post something here every day (including the permitted-to-skip leap day).

As with the knitting, I didn't really know what I was getting myself into. I'd written online for years before but not in the more personal and (some might say) irrelevant-to-everyone-but-me manner that I suspect is one of the identifiable aspects of this site. Sure, you've come to know me through reading the blog, but I've discovered a few things about myself as well. That wasn't my purpose when I set out to keep this place.

In the beginning the idea was to share my knitting excitement, which I wouldn't/couldn't tell anyone else, and then to have a reference spot to keep track of what I was doing. Both aspects still apply. My knitting remains largely secret from those who know me, so I have to talk about it somewhere. I document my projects. It's fair to say, though, that this blog has become something beyond those founding utilitarian purposes.

What else is Knitting Confidential? It's a journal, a writing exercise, a resource for soliciting knitting help and advice, an outlet for venting, a place for making friends and keeping in touch with them, a routine, and probably several other things that don't immediately come to mind or haven't occurred to me.

I am privileged to have readers who care enough to pop in regularly and leave comments. Seriously, you're busy and have better things to do than check in on whatever content, nonsense and otherwise, that I slap up here day in and day out.

The internet won't melt due to the number of hits this site receives, but I get more than I would have expected when I started. If the returning visits counters in my traffic log and familiar names in the comments are any indication, my readers are faithful. Bless you for it. A writer's work gathers meaning through its consumption, so in doing me the honor of reading what I type up, I strive to meet (or exceed) your expectations.

I'm rambling, which is my cue to wrap the entry. Thanks for reading. Thanks for being encouraging. Thanks for two years of participating in an important part of my daily routine.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Two Years of Knit Blogging! May you enjoy many years to come!

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Doniamarie said...

Congrats on two years! You've made so much progress! You're now a bonafide sock knitter! Yay!

 
At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary. :)

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger smariek said...

Happy Blogiversary!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home