Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Notorious

Since I wasn't sure if two skeins of Noro Silk Garden would be enough to make a scarf, I decided that I better start knitting so I'll know if I need to track down more. Although I've never used Noro, I am aware that the yarn is notorious for containing knots, vegetable matter, and inconsistent weight. Yet for all of the complaints I've read, Noro seems to be highly regarded. How bad can the problems be?

It didn't take long for me to find out. I encountered stuff that looked like thin pencil shavings. Separating it from the yarn wasn't too bad but kind of annoying. Then there was a knot which, wisely or not, I chose to knit in as is. A little bit later the yarn plumped up and had more of those fine shavings mixed in. I decided that I'd drive myself crazy if I attempted to remove all of it, so I kept knitting in the hope that there is a way to take it out once the scarf is finished. (Before I try to turn up an answer on Ravelry, does anyone out there have any advice on this matter?)

I've also discovered small pieces of bark or a stick, so I completely understand why some knitters think this yarn is more trouble than it's worth. I'm enjoying seeing and feeling how the yarn knits up (assuming I don't run my hand across more of that rough stuff). The combination of purples, tan, and lime green (!) has surprised me.

For this scarf I'm doing a simple 1x1 rib. I'm slipping the first stitch with the yarn in front and knitting the last stitch, which is producing really nice edges. The basic pattern allows the color shifts to be showcased and makes for a nice, reversible scarf. I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into when I picked this yarn, but the finished product should be something that will impress my mom.

On a photographic note, the yarn in the picture looks bluer than it really is. I'll try to shoot this in the natural light, which ought to render more accurate colors.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am interested to see how your scarf turns out. Noro's appeal has eluded me but I would like to be able to see it knit up close up.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I love the colors of Noro, but the knots mid-skein, resulting in changes to the color schemes, drive me crazy. For that reason, I have only used Noro for felted projects, where the striping isn't critical. The hot water wash and agitation takes care of the veg matter, too. Otherwise, in my opinion, it's too much $$ for the hassles that come with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home