Wednesday, October 15, 2008

In a jiffy

I've been exceptionally fast at knitting the 1x1 ribbed scarf I'm making as a Christmas gift for my mom. I finished the first skein of Noro Silk Garden this evening. I've knit about 28 inches. Assuming the second skein has about as much yardage, an FO will be slightly shorter than I was hoping. I'm aiming for at least 60 inches. I'll have to mull over whether getting a third skein is worth it. For now I'm thinking that it isn't, that something in the range of 55 inches will be acceptable.

I'm beginning to wonder if some of those early pencil shaving-like strands that I've mostly ignored might actually be the silk in this yarn. Perhaps it's a good thing I haven't been yanking most of those out. If that's true, the first skein didn't have nearly as much junk in it than I thought it did.

Before I start working with the second skein, I have a couple questions. Will the spit splice work with this yarn? It's 45% silk, 45% kid mohair, and 10% lamb's wool. My uninformed guess is that the yarn will be immune to the technique, but I suspect someone out there knows without me having to put the fibers in my mouth.

If it won't spit splice, any tips for how to do a jogless join? I'm really happy with how the scarf is coming along and would hate to have one row where the new skein starts and produces something akin to a dotted line.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No clue on the spit splice but I am glad it's knitting up quickly for you. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home