Saturday, March 08, 2008

Blizzard-like

The funny thing about being in the middle of all this bad weather is that I really have no idea what's going on or how it is being portrayed in the media. I got up this morning, watched a little local TV, and then headed over to the film festival.

It took a few guys with shovels and a snow blower to clear a path so I could get my car out of the parking lot. I passed a live truck from a TV station that was positioned nearby. My hotel is across from the street from (formerly known as) Jacobs Field, so I'm at the heart of the downtown spot weather reporting.

Even with my drive of less than a mile, the blowing snow was already problematic. Visibility was reduced enough to be noticeable. The roads were OK for my exceptionally short trip, but I wouldn't want to be spending a lot of time on them. I got to Tower City Center around 11:15 in the morning and was camped out there for thirteen hours. It would have been fourteen, but the Indonesian film noir was doing nothing for me. With an hour being lost to the time change tonight, I figured it was advisable to bail midway through the movie.

I was amazed to see that it was still snowing whenever I emerged from the cavernous theater area. Sometimes it was blowing very hard. The bridges and such in the distance that can be seen without any effort from the mall were obscured quite a bit. It was actually quite comforting to know that I was secure where I was and would have no difficulty getting back to the hotel.

The brief times I poked my nose outside to get a sense of the snowfall gave me more than I wanted. The wind was fierce, and the flakes were flying sideways. I can't remember the last time I've seen it snow this much and for this length of time. That makes my decision to drive up here yesterday seem all the more incredible now.

On the way back to my accommodations I saw The Weather Channel's truck parked in front of the hotel. They have to be loving this stuff. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find a place to park in the lot because it appeared that most people hadn't budged all day. (Honestly, why would they?) Luckily, someone pulled out of a spot as I was driving around, so I got a nice, clean parking space and shouldn't have to go to much trouble to get out of it tomorrow morning. My room hadn't been cleaned because the hotel is operating with limited staff due to the difficulties in getting around. That ought to tell you how bad it is.

The films haven't been amazing, but it's been relaxing to be away from home, if that makes any sense. Thank God I was smart enough to bring boots.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Blogger Sourire11 said...

Great downtown Cleveland during the storm pictures! I'm bummed I missed it (both the storm and the film festival).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home