Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Uncharted

With some helpful advice from Donna, some research that's left me even more in search of answers, and a desire to see what in the world my pattern will produce, I've dived headfirst into knitting, well, something.

It's far too big to be a gauge swatch. (It may be as long as my recently finished hand towel.) I'm going to knit every last row to see how the wishbone C of the Cincinnati Reds turns out according to the knits and purls I've plotted on a graph. Then I'll deal with figuring out how to shrink the pattern and do the color work.

Yes, I've been told that I most likely need to try my hand at intarsia. I've checked some books and have come to agree; however, that doesn't mean I have the slightest idea how to do it. One thing at a time. First we'll see if the C I've laid out on a chart resembles the C I'm trying to produce.

Reading my chart has been easy--it should be--although I am writing down the instructions for each line to help me with keeping the sides straight in my head. I feel like I'm on a fool's errand, but there's no doubt that I'll learn a few things in the process. Stay tuned...

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! Intarsia isn't so hard. I taught myself last year from a book.

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Wow, you're getting really adventurous! I can't wait to see how this all unfolds.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home