Saturday, May 10, 2008

Solutions

Ballband dishcloth

Yarn: Lily The Original Sugar'n Cream (100% cotton; worsted weight)
Color: Sage Green and Red
Needles: US 7s
Stitches: 45

This was the first of these dishcloths from Mason-Dixon Knitting that I cast on but the second I completed. I'm thinking I'll send it to my mother as a belated Mother's Day gift.

I wasn't really looking for an answer to that question, but today I did find a couple solutions which I've been seeking. After reading that pollen counts are a lot higher than usual here, I decided that being miserable and trying to ride out the allergies wasn't worth it. The grocery store pharmacist recommended Zyrtec, so we'll see how it treats me. (Claritin has been effective in the past, but something in its non-drowsy formula tended to wipe me out.)

Of greater interest to you, I finally located my next knitting project. I pulled out Mason-Dixon Knitting again and thought that the hand towel patterns matched the undefined qualities of what I'd been looking for. At first I considered knitting the Chevron Stripes Hand Towel pattern, but since there are a couple instructions new to me, I elected to go with the Moss Grid Hand Towel.

Both patterns call for linen, but my LYS didn't have any. I'm substituting Hempathy by Elsebeth Lavold, which is 34% hemp, 41% cotton, and 25% modal. The color is a blue, maybe a cornflower blue. (It isn't listed on the manufacturer's site, so that's my guess at the specific color.)

Since this is finer yarn, I have the feeling that it's going to take me awhile to knit, but I'm OK with that. I'm just happy to have a new project that's a little different from what I've already done.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Great ballband! I haven't made one yet.

I think you will like zyrtec. My son takes it and it works wonders. One tip: if your doc will prescribe it, you may be able to get it for a $5 copay (depending on your insurance) instead of the OTC pharmacy price. That's what we do.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

So far so good with the Zyrtec, although I've noticed that it has some of the same effect as Claritin. It doesn't make me drowsy per se, just kind of tired.

It shows how uncommon it is for me to get medication. I have an HSA account, which would pay for something like it, and it didn't even occur to me.

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Oh, man, that Hempathy is beautiful.

If you feel inspired to knit the towels again, Knit Pick's CotLin might be just the thing for you.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

love the ballband - looks great!!
i've been totally out of the blogreading world, but wanted to drop in to say hi and see what you've been up to. sorry to hear about the allergies. i have them, too, but for some reason the pregnancy has almost wiped them out...haven't taken my every-single-day-without-fail zyrtec since i found out i was pregnant in feb. and i've been fine. dr says they might come back after baby comes, but for now, i'm loving it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home