Thursday, May 08, 2008

Stick men

The knitting stories I come across tend to hit all the same points. Not just for grannies! Zany, non-traditional projects! Blogs! It's hip, really! Even some men do it!

The articles exclusively about male knitters tend to approach the subject as though we are strange creatures on display in zoos. The tones of the pieces aren't dismissive, yet there's a lingering sense that the authors don't know what to make of this alien subculture.

Perhaps that's why it was such a pleasure to read this story about men who knit. The writer shares some interesting statistics--men account for five percent of the knitting population (lower than I would have guessed)--and anecdotes from male knitters and yarn shop employees that ring true to my experiences.

I appreciate that this article seems more respectful than the usual reports. I don't need validation in the media for being a knitter, but it's nice to read a story that understands why people like me continue to knit mostly in secret.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home