Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Wii own the night

I'm nearly finished with my first ballband dishcloth, but I should be done with it already. The culprit impeding my knitting: the Nintendo Wii.

The console has been notoriously difficult to find, so when I recently noticed its availability, I decided to purchase one. I've enjoyed playing the Wii, and with two of my three brothers having them, I thought it might be fun to challenge them online from time to time.

I haven't had a video game system in my home since my senior year of college when a roommate owned a Sega Genesis. My family had a ColecoVision when I was a kid, and one of my brothers bought a Nintendo Entertainment System and then a Sega. We even had a few games (on diskettes!) for an old PC, and I recall some cheap-o version of Pong that we'd play on the small black-and-white secondary TV in the family room. I was never a hardcore gamer, which is probably why I haven't had a system for ages, but I liked playing.

I must say that I'm having a lot of fun with the Wii. I've played Mario Kart against one of my brothers twice this week and scorched him in every race. In the past he beat me regularly, so it's amusing me to no end how he's searching for excuses why I keep coming out on top.

Will the Wii cut into my knitting time? Probably a little, at least at first, but I get different pleasures from each activity, so I don't see it making an appreciable impact on my knitting. The ballband dishcloth has been a small confidence booster in regard to trying new techniques, so the needles won't be getting put aside in favor of the Wii remote.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say Nintendo was spot on with the Wii. Almost every household in mine and my boyfriend's families has one. The best part is that our parents went out and bought a system for themselves. The Wii has really been the first system since NES that has allowed parents and grandparents to game with their kids. :)

I could wax poetic for hours, but I shall leave you with the image of an 89 year old grandmother trash talking her children and their cousins during a family reunion round of bowling. :)

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Absolutely. My parents rarely would play video games, but they partook in Wii Sports over Thanksgiving. My dad even played the Tiger Woods golf game. It comes down to making the games challenging but not overly complicated.

If only you could trash talk during online play. (Unlike other systems, there's no voice chat.)

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Ahhh, the Wii. Littlewit's comment made me giggle. :)

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Omigod, a Wii?! I'll be over tomorrow night!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home