Thursday, January 17, 2008

Taxman

Let me tell you how it will be. I won't be making any friends with today's entry, and I'm not referring to the recent unfortunate turns of one knitting entry for you and nineteen space fillers for me.

Nevertheless, when I have one of those days in which I don't have time to stop and think, I'm a desperate man come blogging time. So, today in miniature:

-Morning and afternoon: Work, work, work.

-Early evening: Hunt down last year's tax returns. Go to 27 Dresses screening.

-Late evening: Start writing 27 Dresses review. Stop writing to complete federal and state tax returns.

Yes, I've already filed my federal return and am ready to do so with the state return. Why not? The W-2 forms arrived in the mail today, and my taxes are pretty simple to calculate. Get 'em done and get the direct deposit refunds on their way.

The state's I-File program is acting buggy when I click the question marks for assistance, which is the main reason it isn't filed. Since I moved last year and live in an area where I pay city taxes to Columbus and call a suburban school district home (I think), I need to confirm what's what so I have everything correct.

I also need to untangle how many city tax forms I must file due to partial year residency in two cities. I think I'm probably going to get dinged on local income taxes since I moved to a city with a higher rate than where I lived and work. If that's the worst headache I get from tax season, I can't complain.

Yeah, I know. The filing deadline isn't until April 15. You hate me. I understand.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger Doniamarie said...

I'm the same way. I haven't filed mine yet, but I filled out the forms and I have to pay. Ugh. I have no expendable income and I have to pay. Where are these tax breaks I keep hearing about??

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

City tax forms? Yikes. Where I live we don't have to file city tax forms. Though I did move from one city to another without packing a single box as our little township broke itself away from the larger city and created its own.

I like to file asap myself as I usually get a federal refund and pay the state only a small amount. I hate electronic filing and refuse to do so as long as there is a fee involved when filing by mail is free. I will not e-file until I am required to. It's my own little rebellion. It's meaningless, I know, but it gives me pleasure.

I finished a hat for my dad last night and am trying to finish that darn baby blanket that has been on the needles for 7 months.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

I'm not getting quite as much back as I anticipated, which is mildly disappointing, but I'm unaware of there being tax breaks unless you are in the upper brackets.

Oh yeah, city income taxes are a glorious mess. I'd been living in the same city where I worked, so that took care of itself. Now I'm paying separate city taxes where I work and where I live. My employer didn't withhold the extra percentage for where I live, so I'm on the hook for that.

But I'm all about e-file. I've filed federal and state taxes online for free for years.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Wow, we've only gotten one official piece of tax mail so far (W-2s, 1099s ... working freelance there are usually a dozen of them). I'll get started as soon as it all gets here. I haven't even gotten the W-2 from my employer yet!

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

haha - i've owed for so many years in a row that i purposely wait until the last minute. however, w/ buying the house this year, i'm hoping to actually get a refund, so i think i will try to file as soon as the w2's come and your post is good incentive to do so.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home