Friday, January 11, 2008

Sleeper

Here's what I have to show for my last seven days of effort and an unhealthy lack of sleep: five movie reviews; the press release for and results of the local critics group awards, even if this site still got the name wrong (the problem of living in flyover territory); a podcast discussing said results (to be posted online soon); a week's worth of worthless blog posts here; and all the small but important stuff that has to be done at the office for the first week of classes. Oh, one row of knitting too...

Earlier tonight I picked up the needles for the first time in a week. I settled in to watch the hockey game on TV and knit an oft-delayed Christmas gift, but my body had other plans. I finished a row and then felt the deep, unavoidable need to close my eyes. Taking a nap at 7:30 p.m. is not the best way to ensure getting to bed at a decent time, but God knows I feel significantly better having done it. Knitting excepted, it's been a productive week, but it has come at the cost of the proper amount of rest.

It is a relief to be on this side of things, especially since there was a lot weighing on me. At work we were at a make-or-break point with how students put together newscasts. It's early but it looks like the messages finally got through and that the show might be on the right track. I've been dissatisfied with the efforts in that area for years, so it is nice to feel optimistic about it.

In personal matters, I got through my dental check-up unscathed. For a couple months I've been having occasional pain in part of my upper gum and teeth sensitivity. It has also radiated into headaches. Since I've had a root canal before, I assumed that this signaled the onset of the need for another. I was dreading the cost more than the actual procedure. It may sound foolish to have waited--certainly I worried more--but I was holding out until insurance refreshed for the new year. My dentist and the hygienist didn't see anything wrong and suggested that it could be sinuses or stress. Both seem like reasonable causes. I left the dentist's office mostly unburdened of this issue. Unrelated to this, there is some concern regarding my dad's health, although it sounds like he's fine but is in need of a procedure.

This week has had its challenges, but I feel like I've been able to fight my way through them without getting beat up. It's been interesting to learn that this site really suffers if I'm not writing about knitting in some way. That doesn't mean I won't have ruts or posts like this again, especially if the aim is to write every day but... I guess I don't know what the conclusion is. Knitting content tomorrow and for the foreseeable future. I promise.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad all went well at the dentist.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Glad your appt went well and you made it through the week. Prayers for your dad...hope all goes well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home