Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The daily grind

"Do something you love" is one of the best pieces of advice I can give to the college students who come to me trying to figure out their lives. It isn't an original or earth-shattering recommendation, but I believe that it is extremely important to find a job that makes one excited to go to work more often than not. With as much time as we spend working ever week, shouldn't those hours be used doing something that satisfies us beyond the paycheck?

Since I'm in the broadcasting/video production field, it's a practical consideration too. The hard truth is that many of these students will begin their careers, if they choose to stay in the industry, working bad hours and earning lousy pay. Enjoying the job will go a long way toward getting them through those early years in particular.

I'm not factoring money out of the equation. Obviously each person needs to decide what kind of trade-off is acceptable when it comes to work and wages. If you've found something that you love and that compensates you well, then you're a blessed person in my opinion.

As exhausted as I've been from work this week and last, I am reminded of how lucky I am to have a job that I love. The last couple years have presented their share of office challenges, especially the past twelve months. While I wasn't looking to move on--a thought that is pretty high on the list of Things That Freak Me Out--I can't say that I was enjoying what I was doing as much as I once did. Issues outside our control at the workplace were having a very real effect that had all of us feeling frustrated and defeated.

The situation still isn't what it should be, but today I realized that I am beginning to feel recharged, motivated, and excited again. It makes all the difference in the world. Sure, I'm dead tired tonight and more than ready to relax this weekend, but this is a good kind of tired. I feel as though I'm doing something that matters to me and to others, that my working hours aren't futile and wasted. Although I didn't go anywhere, it's nice to be doing something I love again. Nice? Change that to essential.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 8:49 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

I'm glad to hear that work is more rewarding these days. You're right -- it's the only way to live.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home