Monday, January 14, 2008

The blues are still blue

Seaman's Cap

Yarn: Malabrigo Kettle Dyed Variegated (100% merino wool; worsted weight)
Colorway: Oceanos
Needles: US 6 and 7 circulars
Stitches: 102

My first FO of 2008 is a real beauty, if I do say so myself. The cast on row looks flawless. I was worried how the variegated yarn might pool, particularly the light, almost white sections, but the interplay of the various shades of blue gives a nice overall impression. I'm impressed and that doesn't happen easily.

This hat features some of my best knitting. There aren't suggestions of ladders anywhere in it, something that I have noticed slightly in the last couple I made. The decreases were superbly done and are not all that visible at a glance. The Malabrigo works really well and gives the hat a wonderful density that lets you know it will be warm before putting it on.

I used the same needle sizes as the last time I made this hat with Malabrigo. The hat is probably a more comfortable fit for a woman, the intended recipient in this instance, so I would suggest going up needle sizes if using this yarn and pattern for a man's hat.

Although I thought this was the last one of these seaman's caps that I'd be knitting for awhile, I have at least one more to go. My mom requested one and purchased Cascade 220 in a lovely purple for me to make it in. Now to wind the hank into a ball...

4 Comments:

At 3:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great finish!! I love that yarn.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Malabrigo is beautiful, beautiful stuff. Good work on the hat!

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Malabrigo. Can't get enough of it.

I have to ask about the cast on. What method did you use?

Being something of a novice, I've only ever used the long tail cast on and my cast on row doesn't look anything like yours. I like the look of yours.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

oops...guess i should catch up on all posts before asking questions that i might find answers to later on ;)

the hat looks great - the recipient will surely have a stylishly warm noggin : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home