Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Reboot

It's worth reminding myself that I shouldn't blog when I'm tired. I knew I was being crabby, and I didn't care. So, lesson learned...again.

If there's any benefit to the mini-purge, it is that I am finally facing what I have probably known for awhile: blogging exclusively, or primarily, about knitting is something I've exhausted. While I still have a lot to learn about knitting, I'm no longer the newbie documenting every misstep and minor success. It makes sense that I would have difficulty writing about knitting when there's nothing novel or troublesome about the projects on my needles. Contorting myself in search of knitting topics every day is not feasible.

So, here's the deal... I will try to write about knitting as much as possible, but I am releasing myself from feeling like I'm violating your trust when I don't blog about knitting every day. This should mean the end of non-entries like yesterday and an unseemly percentage of this month's output. Hopefully you're OK with this, although I've run across enough opinions about the subject on Ravelry to realize that some may be miffed that a knitblog will be adopting a more general theme. I believe you'd rather read something with a little substance than negligible knitting content for the sake of fitting the thematic construction. If I'm wrong, sorry.

That said, I don't foresee this being a major overhaul. This blog always has been who I am, for better and worse. That won't change, although I'll try to keep the "worse" to a minimum. Sticking to knitting was an artificial constraint and one I didn't observe all the time anyway. I guess this is my way of coming to terms that this place will be the same as it ever was, except now I'm dropping the illusion that it is only a knitting site.

Thanks for reading. And thanks for putting up with this internal conversation and meta blogging. The good news is I already know what I want to write about tomorrow.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's your blog and if people don't like the changes they can go elsewhere. Besides knitting is just one facet of your life and we don't mind if the blog reflects more than just knitting. I for one, really enjoyed the photos you showed of your local area. I keep meaning to do the same on my blog...

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Doniamarie said...

Don't forget to be realistic! Unless you sit around knitting all day, every day (and who can do that??), having an exciting, exclusively knitting blog is impossible. If I tried to do what you've done, many entries would read "I knit 5 rows today - hooray!" Don't put so much pressure on yourself and just enjoy! Blogging should never be a chore.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Be you, Mark. And if the knitting has become boring, maybe it's time for a challenge??

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

The knitting isn't boring, but I fear that my writing about it is, especially since what I'm doing at the moment comes fairly easy to me.

It may be time for a challenge, but I'm not ready for one just yet. I'm too busy to feel like I have the time to devote to one.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Matt....... said...

I've been a knit-blog reader for over 2 years and I can't think of one that has ONLY been about knitting. the people who write them are a big part of whats interesting, otherwise it would be like reading small print at the bottom of a contract!

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

We all have lives aside from our knitting and since we all become friends through our blogs, it's only normal to want to share and hear about each others' lives, including non-knitting stuff. You write about whatever you want!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home