Saturday, January 19, 2008

Loose ends

As promised, here's a picture of my mom's first FO. I fixed her mistakes while I was home. After that she was on her own. From what I can tell, it looks like she did a pretty good job, so I must have pointed her somewhat in the right direction. FYI, she used a variegated Red Heart yarn.

I've taken a step toward knitting again. I went through the tedious process of winding the hank of yarn she selected for a hat she asked me to make. I hadn't been feeling like knitting it, but now that this part is out of the way, I think I'm ready to get started. I need to check the cable, though. It seemed like one end was coming out of the join. Since I glued several of these at Christmastime, I'm going to assume it is the other end that is popping out.

I keep forgetting that I bought five skeins of yarn to make myself a blanket, so that's a mindless project I can begin anytime. I'm not feeling up to any knitting challenges at the moment. Although work is going well, it's taking a lot out of me. I also have a lot of writing to do that requires a good deal of thought. So I'm looking for knitting to be nice and simple.

Maybe I'll get some brain energy back now that I've finished a book that required a lot of it. I want to write an extended post on my other site about How to Read the Bible: A Guide to Scripture, Then and Now by James L. Kugel because it provoked a lot of thoughts. It's fair to say that it has had a significant impact on me, both in confirming and challenging my beliefs about interpreting Scripture.

To follow up on my outrageous overachieving in filing taxes so early, it's something I'm able to do because mine are very simple. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to say that it takes longer to find my previous years' returns than to do them for the new year. (That would definitely be true if I did them by hand. E-filing takes me through more steps than I really need.)

I did them the same day my W-2s arrived in the mail, although I'm finding that the city taxes are going to take longer to complete. I need to file in two cities. Columbus has an incredibly convoluted form that I'm not sure how to fill out, not to mention that it's likely I'll probably owe them a couple hundred dollars because of the difference in city tax rates where I live and where I work. No rush there.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:19 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

The scarf seems to be the same size at both ends, and for a novice knitter, that is a big accomplishment. She's probably pretty comfortable with the knit stitch now, so on to bigger and better things! Looking forward to your thoughts on the book.

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

very impressed by your mom's scarf - looks excellent and i would never guess she's a newbie. way to go, teacher!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home