Saturday, September 22, 2007

Just knitting

Asherton Reversible Scarf

Yarn: Dark Horse Yarns-Fantasy (50% nylon, 50% acrylic; worsted weight)
Color: Cherry
Needles: US 8s
Stitches: 40

This is my contribution to the Red Scarf Project. I had fun knitting it, but I am ready for something that requires less brain power. Time to fire up the Knit Picks Options needles and knit a blanket.

Christmas knitting begins. I'm making the diagonal baby blanket again, but you can go ahead and remove "baby" from the project's name. I've crunched the numbers and am hoping I have applied the correct logic to my computations. If 126 stitches on the diagonal equal a 36" square, then it follows that 42 stitches equal 12". I've decided that a 48"x48" blanket is a good size for adults, so if I increase to 168 stitches, I should be able to get those dimensions. It took three skeins for the 36"x36" blanket, so four skeins should do the trick, right? I'll find out sooner or later, but if you see a flaw in my math, please let me know.

O glorious garter stitch, how I adore three! After an embattled week, it's nice to be able to zone out and knit to my heart's content. The Options cable is more flexible than the one with the plastic circs I used to knit the other blankets. I'm also having an easier time moving the stitches. So far, so good with the new needles.

I'm perplexed by what purpose the cable keys serve. How are they supposed to help in tightening the needles to the cable? I have noticed that the needles can become loose, but there have been no accidents yet.

That said, I courted disaster while knitting the blanket in the Borders café. The last stitches on the needle attempted to slip off a couple times. The lid on my hot chocolate popped off, and I almost slopped the drink all over my lap. (My WIP and iPod would have been ruined.) I paused in the middle of a row to find more music after an iPod playlist ended. Apparently I reversed course when I resumed because things weren't looking right. I have no idea how I did it, but I caught the mistake before I knit many stitches.

All in all, not a bad day. I started a new project and rediscovered a terrific album in my collection (Sloan's One Chord to Another). That sounds like a good end to an otherwise frustrating week.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Blogger donnadb said...

Put the cable key in the little hole on the metal end of the cable. Screw in the tip. Then, holding the tip, finish the screwing in by pressing on the cable key. It's a little lever that will help tighten that join when your turning fingers can't get it the last bit. It makes a huge difference -- I was having unscrewism every few rows before I learned to finish my needle construction with the cable key.

Beautiful scarf -- I can't wait to make it! It's in my Ravelry queue!

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

One more week of working out like a crazy woman, and I will feel that I have earned my reward of the Options needles. They look so awesome!

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

The scarf is gorgeous, Mark...someone is going to be very very lucky and happy!

Glad you are enjoying the Options needles. And I second Donna in that it makes a big difference...I make sure I use mine every time to avert disasters.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home