Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Keeping it real

I've finished the first skein of yarn for the Asherton Reversible Scarf, meaning I have 60% of my contribution to the Red Scarf Project completed. (See, I told you there are numbers kicking around in my head.) I'm eager to get it done for a couple reasons. I'd like to be knitting something that requires slightly less attention to what row I'm on. I also want to use my new Knit Picks Options needles. All I've done is take them out of their packaging.

I've considered knitting the scarf off the straights and onto the circs, but I'm exercising patience and sticking to the needles that have produced the beautiful work in progress. I'm not in much of a waiting mood, though. I deplete enough of that during the day.

I'm also beginning to realize that I have put off Christmas gift knitting past the point I should have, so I feel like I need to pick up the pace. Truthfully, my intention to knit log cabin blankets--say, five of them--in time for the holiday was full-blown insanity, so I'm probably better off acknowledging that it is impossible and developing an alternative. (Don't say socks. I still haven't finished one pair.)

I want to knit a couple items for me too. The scarves I made myself are fine, but I'd like to make something shorter than the ever-stretching garter stitch objects I knitted. I also want to knit a hat or two for myself. Those I knitted on straights have the problems of an ugly seam or being too tight. At the time I didn't know the long tail cast-on or how to use circular needles.

I'm tempted to take my knitting to work now that I have my own office. I've been closing the door while I eat my lunch, so taking some of that time to knit might be a good idea. Certainly it could ease the aggravation that continues to bubble up regarding our still incomplete operational status from the move.

That settles it. I am the secret knitter, and I ought to be living up to my name. The scarf goes with me to work tomorrow.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Good for you - take that knitting to work!

You are going to love love love the options needles. They just came out w/ wooden ones that go w/ the set, so I ordered a pair to try and I can't wait for them to arrive...I prefer wood when I'm knitting dishcloths (it just feels better to me when using cotton), so this will hopefully be the answer.

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger donnadb said...

Woo-hoo! Scarf at work! Scarf at work!

Also I heartily endorse casting on a new project on the circs. It ain't knittin' unless you're neglecting one project for another.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Hooray for secret knitting! Enjoy!

My knitting goes to work with me every day, and comes out while I sit and counsel students.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Doniamarie said...

Ha! I brought my knitting to work today! Good for us!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home