Monday, September 17, 2007

Code red

Am I sick? I don't feel great, but I'm not incapacitated. I might be getting that scratch in the back of the throat that signals the onset of something, and I'm kind of tired for no good reason. I was feeling chilled at work, but then I learned that the faculty members were complaining about it being too cold in their offices. I also found out that the thermostat that regulates the temperature in my office is responsible for cooling the TV engineering and control rooms, which makes me wonder if I'm going to be frozen out in the new building like I was in the old one.

I'll blame this unidentified malaise for the knitting mistake I made at lunchtime. I hoped to finish the scarf today, but after knitting eleven rows during my lunch hour, I spotted five stitches that weren't as they should have been. My frame of mind obviously wasn't right since I decided I could live with the mistake and knitted another row. Thankfully it was the last one I did before returning to work.

Of course I couldn't leave the error there. It was only noticeable on one side, and even there it wasn't too bad. The recipient probably wouldn't pay any attention to it. But I would know. Cursed conscience. I knew I had to fix it.

I also attribute my next mistake to feeling mildly run-down. I can save some time frogging by taking the scarf off of the needle, ripping out the necessary rows, and reinserting the needle! Who needs to go stitch by stitch? Fortunately I realized the error of my ways after frogging a few stitches and got a needle into the loops. (I should have remembered what happened when I tried this wrong-headed method months ago.)

For the longest time I had difficulty seeing how to undo stitches. I'm not sure that I always see it now. Sometimes it's intuitive more than anything, but as long as the needle finds the right spot, I'm satisfied.

So I'm back to where I began no worse for wear. If only all mistakes were as easy to undo as these today.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:21 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

if you have a larger section to frog, i suggest threading another piece of yarn through the stitches just under the mistake. that way you can rip w/o having to undo, and then just put your needle through where the other yarn is holding your place.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Oooh, I hope you don't get sick. Drink vitamin C, etc...and rest. As far as frogging goes, I usually just rip out like crazy, but that doesn't always work out so well, though it works most of the time. Perhaps I should just be slower.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home