Saturday, May 19, 2007

A blanket entry

Diagonal baby blanket

Yarn: Plymouth Encore Chunky (75% acrylic, 25% wool; bulky weight)
Color: 450 (light green)
Needles: US 11 circulars
Stitches: up to 126

This blanket is definitely lighter than the first one I made, which is due to substituting the yarn. I've since come across some Lion Homespun in a color I liked, but I'm happy with what I chose to use instead. The Plymouth yarn didn't split as much, and it pulled more smoothly from the skein. I'd also wager that it knitted up quicker too, but that could have as much to do with my comfort with the pattern as it might with the yarn.

OK eagle-eyed readers, can you spot where the most noticeable mistake is in the baby blanket? There can be no attributing this error to a stylistic decision.

It doesn't look as bad as I feared it would when I first spotted it. I'm not sure how I got off like that. I assume it was one wrong stitch that perpetuated itself until I started decreasing. As much of a perfectionist as I can be, I didn't have the heart to undo all of those stitches and fix it. So does that make me lazy or rational? I suppose I can still get away with playing the novice card when it comes to giving flawed projects like this, but it kills me a little to see such an obvious mistake, as if it's something that would be sold for a discount in the irregulars pile.

Packing continued today after a well-placed nap in the early afternoon. I'm getting to hear and smell a greatest hits of neighborly annoyances and aggravations for my final week here, so I needed a lunchtime snooze. It really hit the spot.

I bought a larger tub to hold my growing stash and collection of needles. My stash is mostly yarn remnants from other projects. I have some Cotton-Ease and baby sweater yarn that hasn't been touched, but that's it as far as stockpiling goes.

Whatever time I have to knit this week may be devoted to dishcloths. I've been impressed how the one I made myself has withstood washing and drying kitchenware, so I figure I could use more. My new place will have a dishwasher--hallelujah--but I'm sure these will come in handy. The dishcloth I began tonight is in seed stitch.

Tonight marks the last Saturday I will spend in this place. It's kind of weird to think about that, but for now I'm not feeling sad about it. The neighbors are doing their part to quash any nostalgia.

5 Comments:

At 10:32 PM, Blogger Karen said...

It looks great, even with the one flaw. (It's not that noticeable!) Some knitters and quilters believe that no one is perfect and purposely make sure one flaw is left in every project.

Plymouth Encore is a great yarn. It's becoming one of my favorites because of the many colors and the way it washes.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Karen said...

One more thing... You've been tagged! Go read my blog for details. And now *you* have a blog entry you don't have to dream up. :-)

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

It looks scrumptious. I love the color (green and yellow are great baby colors). I want to knit a baby blanket myself because Archer's kindergarten teacher is expecting, but I'm looking for something that will go quick. Is that too much to ask of a baby blanket?

 
At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm going blind, but I can't see the flaw.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

the blanket turned out great!! and i'm so excited that you spent your last saturday in that place...out w/ the old, in w/ the new!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home