Thursday, June 14, 2007

Inside out

Because confusing right side and wrong side is a tendency of mine, I should point out that the sock I'm knitting appears to be taking shape inside out. Having taken a closer look at the pictures with the pattern, I'm fairly certain that this is so. (It also explains how I start the heel flap on the right side.) The WIP is below my needles while I'm knitting, which is what I was doing when I made my second practice sock, yet the right side was on the outside for it. I don't understand why it is the way it is, but I think I know what to do.

The same thing applied to the walk I took this morning. I awoke early enough that I decided to get in my exercise before work. I've been walking or running around the park and schools just up the road from me, but I thought I could find a better extended course by venturing into the surrounding neighborhood too.

I went one street farther north than I would usually go and turned. Shortly after 8 a.m. the air was still light, although it held the promise of heat and humidity. One family was clearing their yard of the toilet paper strung like ribbon through the tree in their front yard. Several weekly suburban newspapers lay at the end of driveways. During this nice, quiet tour it dawned on me that I hadn't come out where I thought the road would lead me.

I had passed one familiar street name but didn't venture down it because I expected to arrive somewhere else. The more I walked, the more I realized that I could get seriously lost in the suburban housing development maze. I turned a few times to head in the direction I wanted to go, although by this time I had no bearings for which way I was actually going. I assumed that I would eventually make it to somewhere I recognized.

Finally I got back to the street that I knew, but I wasn't as far south on it as I anticipated being. The curves of the roads took me farther east and north than I perceived, and since the neighborhoods aren't laid out in simple grids, my path looked like something a Family Circus kid would leave in the Sunday strip.

One other knitting item... A tip o' the hat to Jennifer for drawing my attention to Dish Rag Tag. I'm signed up and ready to knit dishcloths. As if I needed any excuse to do so.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, Blogger miss ewe said...

Hee hee. More testimony to my theory that all men are essentially lost (metaphorically, practically, whatever...). ;) Glad you made it out alive!

As for inside out/rightside in sock knitting, I see no particular advantage to either for the leg part, so I wouldn't worry about it, but you'll have a heck of a time trying to turn a heel that way. I'd just go with it until you hit the heel-flap, then flip it.

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

I happened across this visual demonstration of what "inside out" sock knitting really means -- the needles you're using at the moment are behind the needles that are resting. Is that what's happening to you?

Anyway, if you're interested in being about to tell when you're inside out, and fixing it, here's the link (scroll to the bottom). Also contains the clearest description of knitting on two circs that I've seen. I might just try that sometime. The sock Jenn wants to knit for the KAL recommends 2 circs ...

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Never let it be said that I won't ask for directions. I got lost enough in my early driving days that I try to have good directions in advance and will stop to ask if I'm not finding my way out.

Thanks for the advice. I've finished the heel flap. I turned the work inside out, so everything should be good now.

Donna, I'm not sure I quite understand your description. I also looked at the pictures at the link, and I can't tell. How about this...

I'm knitting the stitches on needle #1 (the left side of the triangle, with needle #2 as the base and needle #3 as the right side). The working needle is sort of parallel to needle #3. Everything I knit is on the inside of the tube.

After knitting the heel flap, I've turned it inside out. Now the right side is on the outside. To the best of my knowledge, everything is OK.

Again, thanks for the help.

 
At 3:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sir, are making fine progress with the sock! I can't believe you only learnt to knit last year. It took me years before I tackled socks...

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Glad to hear that you will do the Dishrag Tag...I thought you might be interested in that one :)

I can't believe how you are flying on your sock...great job!

My hubby and I got totally lost in a development or two once when we were walking in our old neighborhood. The walk was very long and at that time, my bad back was much worse, so by the time we finally found home, I could barely move. Since then, I appreciate the uniformity of the city streets that I walk on now...no chance of getting lost here.. http://www.hometownlocator.com/City/Lakewood-Ohio.cfm lolps - how do you post links in comments?

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger miss ewe said...

Only teasing. More of a sardonic commentary on my perpetual dealings with those who don't know what they want. And anyway, *exploring* is different than being lost!
It sounds like the sock is going in the right direction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home