Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Scatterbrained

I received my secret pal's information for Favorite Color Swap 2 today. Since this is supposed to be secret until my person receives her package, I signed up for yet another e-mail address. All of my addresses have enough identifying information that they wouldn't exactly make me secret. I'm looking forward to this experience, but the last thing I needed was to keep track of another e-mail account. That baby's going dark once I can reveal myself to my secret pal.

I also need to fill out the swap questionnaire. I may post my answers here since it seems like a lot of work, and I feel like my brain is turning to mush. Might as well get a blog post out of it too.

Scatterbrained is a good word for today and yesterday. On Tuesday I nearly had a heart attack when I opened my wallet and noted the absence of my debit card. That morning I had withdrawn cash from the ATM. I remembered telling myself to make sure I retrieved my card before driving away. You may recall that I left it behind for the bank machine to munch less than a month ago. I was certain I hadn't done it again, but it wasn't in my wallet or my coat or pants pockets.

As luck would have it, I hadn't lost it again. I had set it on the car's passenger seat and knocked it underneath when taking some things out. Disaster averted.

I've been working a lot these past couple weeks, so I took off a couple hours early this afternoon to get my laundry done. Today I accomplished a first: I washed and dried my wallet in my pants. That's right, I literally laundered money. *rim shot* As far as I know, nothing was ruined, so there's a minor victory.

I was knitting in front of the computer while my wallet was in the spin cycle and wasn't paying close enough attention to what I was doing. I've started another ribbed scarf. (This one is for Jennifer, a loyal reader from the beginning and someone who doesn't knit enough for herself.) Earlier in the row I purled three consecutive stitches, so I began to work back to the spot in need of a fix. With the above tales of distraction, can you guess what's coming? Yep, I ended up dropping a stitch en route to the repair.

Rather than frog it all, I thought I'd see if I could rip out a couple rows and reinsert the needle. What did I have to lose? I thought my attempt was successful until I realized I missed two stitches. I went back and picked them up. That said, I've decided to start over again. It's not that much, and I wasn't happy with the tightness of some stitches.

I hear your calls for photos of Donna's scarf. I still need to weave in the ends and add the fringe, but I'm going to do that once I'm done with this entry. Since Donna has granted permission, I'll take some pictures in the morning and get one posted on Thursday. Perhaps I should still keep the scarf for her husband unseen on this site until it completes its trip through the postal system?

6 Comments:

At 6:53 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh boy - another debit card loss averted, only to end with a trip through the washer for the whole wallet...sounds like something I would do! So glad you didn't lose the card and that nothing was ruined...what a pain that would have been.
So excited that you started my scarf - bummer that you had to frog it, though...good experience to try unknitting a bit first, though. Can't wait to see it!! Thanks again for knitting something for me...I'm currently trying to get a couple cabled headbands done for my mom, sisters and I to use next weekend when we take our annual trip to an Indiana Resort/State Park - Pokegon. We go every year and it's a blast, but w/ school work and house work, I might be finishing the headbands while we are there lol

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Slow down, friend! You're doing too much. (I can blame having kids for my being scatterbrained!)

What a relief that you didn't lose another debit card. I nearly panic when I can't find mine.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

I think you should wait to show us the pictures--Donna and Noel would probably want to be surprised when they see the package...oh, the anticipation! ;-)

I'm participating in the color swap too. My pal's pretty awesome, I've decided. Thanks for sharing it with me!

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

My wallet is still damp. It needs replacing anyway.

Jenn, I may hold off on the photos. The fringe didn't go so well, and what's a couple more days for everyone to wait?

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Well, don't hold off because of the fringe! Hold off to build the anticipation! ;-)

Eh, but I suppose everyone is their own worst critic; I do the same thing with picking apart stuff I make. But I'd love to see the pictures, as I'm sure Donna and Noel will love their new scarves.

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I'm your swap partner - and I am eager eager eager to see your list -please post it to the blog !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home