Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The 12 FOs of Christmas and one for me

How serendipitous! My number of FOs for Christmas matches the number of days of the holiday. (I'm not counting my own scarf in the mix. I didn't finish it until after Christmas, and anyway, it would blow the accidental seasonal tie-in.) With no further ado, here are the details with the happy recipients in most cases.

FO #1
Yarn: Lion Brand Yarn Chenille Thick & Quick (91% acrylic, 9% rayon; super bulky)
Color: Scarlet
Needles: US 11s
Stitches: 12

FO #2
Yarn: Patons Melody Quick & Cozy (100% acrylic; super bulky)
Color: Bright blue
Needles: US 15s
Stitches: 13

My first two scarves were for my brother and his wife. They went to the front of the line for no other reason than I found yarn that matched the colors I wanted on that first shopping trip. I still wish my brother's scarf looked better up close, but he seemed pleased with it. My second scarf was better. Since my sister-in-law was the most complimentary, I wish I'd been able to do a nicer job with hers, but that's just my perfectionist streak.

FO #3
Yarn: Dark Horse Yarns-Fantasy (50% nylon, 50% acrylic; worsted weight double wrapped)
Color: 5 and 23 (shades of green)
Needles: US 11s
Stitches: 14

FO #4
Yarn: Katia Duende (82% polyamide, 18% acrylic; worsted weight eyelash yarn)
Color: Purple with multicolored slubs
Needles: US 13s
Stitches: 14

My dad's scarf was where my knitting started to click...after I'd taken a hiatus on my mom's scarf. I'm not sure why he's wearing it the way he is, but hey, whatever works for him. My mom doesn't look too thrilled in this picture, so it's a good thing I have another one of her. In the above photo she's wearing both scarves I knitted for her.

FO #5
Yarn: Reynolds Utopia (100% acrylic; worsted weight double wrapped)
Color: 10 (blue)
Needles: US 11s
Stitches: 14

It doesn't show much in the photo, but there is a hint of silver mixed into the blue yarn.

FO #6
Yarn: Katia Duende (82% polyamide, 18% acrylic; worsted weight eyelash yarn)
Color: Purple with multicolored slubs
Needles: US 15s
Stitches: 7

Not that she'll know that these pictures are online, but my mom would be more pleased with this one.

FO #7
Yarn: Plymouth Encore (75% acrylic, 25% wool; worsted weight double wrapped)
Color: 6002 and 6003 (shades of brown)
Needles: US 11s
Stitches: 14

Also known as a true secretly knitted scarf. This is the brother who put his gifts to my other brothers in wooden cases.

FO #8
Yarn: Lion Brand Yarn Wool-Ease Chunky (80% acrylic, 20% wool; bulky)
Color: Grass
Needles: US 10 1/2s
Stitches: 18

This is the brother who couldn't make things easy and specify a shade of green but gave a wavelength frequency range instead. To him this was more logical than saying he'd prefer light, dark, kelly, or forest green, to name a few. More logical only to him, I mean.

FO #9
Yarn: Patons Shetland Chunky (75% acrylic, 25% wool; bulky)
Color: Medium blue
Needles: US 10s
Stitches: 14

FO #10
Yarn: Lion Brand Yarn Lion Cashmere Blend (72% merino wool, 14% cashmere, 14% nylon; worsted weight)
Color: 110 (medium blue)
Needles: US 10s
Stitches: 18
Pattern: Basketweave scarf

These scarves went to my friend Paul and his wife. (She got the fancier basketweave scarf.) I didn't get photos, so these will have to suffice.

FO #11
Yarn: Bernat Satin (100% acrylic; worsted weight double wrapped)
Colors: Admiral and Silk
Needles: US 11s
Stitches: 14
Pattern: 2-color scarf

I changed the pattern by making it narrower and not as long. This scarf is headed to my friend Royce in Seattle. With the unseasonably warm weather we're having here, he may need this more than any of the other scarf recipients.

FO #12
Yarn: Dark Horse Yarns-Fantasy (50% nylon, 50% acrylic; worsted weight double wrapped)
Colors: 14, 15, and 16 (shades of blue)
Needles: US 11s
Stitches: 14
Pattern: Variation on the 2-color scarf

All the details on my variation on the pattern are here. Of all the scarves I've knitted, this is probably my favorite. It features some of my best knitting, and I was very pleased to see that what I envisioned for the design turned out as well as it did.

FO #13
Yarn: Knit Picks Andean Silk (55% superfine alpaca, 23% silk, 22% merino wool; worsted weight double wrapped)
Color: Cranberry
Needles: US 11s
Stitches: 14

I got this done just in time. It was fairly cold early this morning, and I put the scarf to good use. If I ever need an author photo for a book's dust jacket, this would work quite nicely.

So there you have 'em, twelve scarves I gave as Christmas gifts and one I made for myself. I hope you've enjoyed reading what I've had to say as I've knitted them and seeing the finished objects. I can't imagine what the last couple months would have been like without all this knitting, and I'm ready to get started on more projects.

Next...wrapping up the holiday with the family.

4 Comments:

At 6:16 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

wow - that's quite the post! how was adding the pics using beta...any different than the old way? that's the one thing i hate about blogger...it's a pain to get pics in your post where you want them. or maybe i'm just doing it wrong lol

on to the scarves...kristin's is my fave, with paul's wife's and your's coming in tied for second. you already know i love the tan one and that green one rocks (i'm a huge fan of green). all of your 12+1 fo's look great and i can't believe you finished them all so quickly after just having learned to knit!!! great job, mark!!

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on all of the finished scarves, they look amazing. I can't get over how much you've achieved in such a short space of time. Kristin's scarf is beautiful, you have a great eye for colour, and I love yours too, I think the length is just fine.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Now you understand why it took me so long to get this post done. :)

The new version of Blogger adds all new pictures to the top of the post. I think that's the same way it was on the old version. Not the most convenient method, so it does require a lot of cutting and pasting.

Thanks to both of you for your encouragement in the comments. Since Kristin was the only one seeing what I was I knitting, it meant a lot to me to have other people saying nice things about my work.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Kristin's is definitely the ultimate bomb of these 12. After that I like the wavelength green for your brother, and your cranberry one. I am so up for knitting. Next year, you get a scarf from me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home