Saturday, February 03, 2007

BRRR!

Winter has officially arrived. This afternoon I heard a DJ say that it was 22 degrees, although the gusts of wind certainly made it feel colder than that. Sunday is supposed to dip to 7 degrees.

You can understand why I'm working in earnest on my ribbed hat. I really wanted to start it last night before finishing Donna's scarf. It took awhile to cast on 90 stitches, and knitting the first row in rib was a bear. From then on it was slow but smooth progress. Crazy as it sounds, I took a nap around 10:30 p.m. while the Blue Jackets were getting blown out, woke up about an hour later, and returned to knitting the hat. The scarf went untouched.

I worked on it a little more this morning before going to work. Shooting a women's basketball game was on tap for the afternoon. We set up three hours in advance, but a colossal technical problem prevented us from getting any video signals. There was no reason to stay for a game we couldn't record, so we tore everything down and dismissed the crew, leaving me with a few extra hours on my hands.

I took my messenger bag to work, and yes, my knitting was inside. Rather than go home, I went to a coffee shop to get something to warm me up and to knit. In Fight Club Tyler Durden gives the members an assignment to pick a fight with a stranger. I feel like I'm doing the opposite, like others are provoked while I sit there with my needles and yarn. I feel rebellious, although no one has said a word to me, pro or con, while I knit in public. I've caught a few uncertain glances but nothing more.

Honestly, I think seeing me knitting freaks people out. They don't know how to respond. I've noticed that one of my friends goes strangely silent on the rare occasions I talk about knitting around him.

I knitted the hat for two undisturbed hours. I've finished almost four of the nine inches required before decreasing begins. I don't know if I can turn the scarf and hat into FOs by the end of the weekend, but I will have the time to give it a shot. The pre-production work for Monday's two shows is done. All I need to do is check the scripts and tapes for mistakes, change into the tuxedo received in trade for a 30 second spot, and record the programs. It's a huge relief to have that work finished. I can't remember the last day I had off, so you can imagine how good it feels to know I don't have to work Sunday.

3 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Brrrrr! I hear you. I had to bring in more firewood last night and it was not fun.

That yarn in the photo looks yummy! And I love your comparison to knitting in public to the task put to the guys in Fight Club. You must look tough, Mark. No takers! It has to be the weapons you're wielding... those pointy sticks. ;-)

Keep going.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Look tough? Probably not. An indie rocker? Maybe somewhat.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

The hat looks great so far...nice and even!

It was -1 here today and w/ the windchill, -20...yucko!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home