Sunday, February 11, 2007

All-Time Favorite Slippers

All-Time Favorite Slippers

Yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease (80% acrylic, 20% wool; worsted weight double wrapped)
Color: Grey Heather
Needles: US 10s
Stitches: 28

If you haven't read yesterday's entry, I suggest reading it before taking a look at this post. It's an amusing story, so it's worth your while.

Apparently it doesn't take very long to knit a pair of slippers. I finished knitting the second slipper last night but waited until after church this morning to do any finishing. Best to be awake for such critical work.

The seaming went fine. I did a slightly better job on the one I made yesterday, which is worn on my right foot in these photos.




That said, the woven-in end for the top seam on that first slipper likes to make itself visible.

I have to wear socks to keep them on my feet. Otherwise the heel falls off. They're quite comfortable and warm, and I expect to get a lot of use out of them. I'm used to purchasing yarn for scarves, so I bought way more than I needed. I could probably make six more, but rather than add the two extra skeins to my stash, I'm leaning toward returning it.

The slipper pattern comes from Simple Knits for Sophisticated Living: Quick-Knit Projects from Beautiful, Chunky Yarns by Barbara Albright. Thanks to Kristin for suggesting this project. I may have to make these as gifts.

I didn't dare attempt to fix the dropped stitches in Jennifer's scarf. I admit that I'm afraid to mess with it out of expectations that I'll create a raft of other problems. I'm not superstitious, but considering the number of mishaps that have occurred on Sundays, maybe it's wise to leave it alone until tomorrow.

Just like that I'm out of projects. Well, there is that big non-knitting project that I really want to complete and really don't want to start: cleaning and packing my apartment in anticipation of moving. I haven't had any time to make headway until this weekend. Can't say I got a lot done, but I accomplished something before sitting down to watch the Blue Jackets game.

I didn't intend to knit during it, but they went down a couple goals early. It didn't look to be a good afternoon for the boys in blue, so I started something I wanted to make to include with the package I sent to Arkansas. Now that I have ribbing down, it was time for my third crack at the coffee cup cozy.

Kristin's Jazzy Coffee Cup Cozy

Yarn: Bernat Satin (100% acrylic; worsted weight)
Color: Admiral
Needles: US 7s
Stitches: 50

I started and finished this handy little item during the game. For the sake of comparison, examine my first attempt and second attempt. My next time knitting this may have to be on circular needles.

When getting yarn for the slippers I picked up some more for another ribbed hat. Now that my seaming isn't as atrocious, I'd like to see what I can do. There was also a pattern for mittens in the binder Kristin gave me. Am I feeling up to that challenge? A baby blanket might be good. Of course, I have all this yarn for dishcloths just waiting to be used. Here's one area where having too many choices is a nice problem to have.

4 Comments:

At 11:21 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Wow - you knit those slippers amazingly fast! I think they would make great gifts for your family next Christmas, and at the quick rate that you knitted them, you could be done by March : )
The coffee cup cozy turned out nice...I'm sure your friend will love it!
Good luck w/ the packing...we just spent an entire week and weekend cleaning and getting rid of TONS of clothes and junk...feels good to look around at all of our hard work and to relax on the couch and not feel guilty for doing nothing.
Ok, off to bed...have a great week!

 
At 4:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As one who has moved more times than she can remember in her adult life I would start packing and sorting for a short time every day (before you have the deadline looming) it'll save a bunch of work later on. Good luck with it.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

True to the name of the book where the pattern originated, the slippers are a quick knit. I spent more time knitting and less time packing, something that will have to reverse itself, but I think it's been months since I've had that many days without working.

Thanks for the packing tip. It's one way to keep me from feeling overwhelmed by it all.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

You're doing awesome! It's so much to read about someone who has the same enthusiasm about knitting and learning new techniques and applying them to projects--it's gotten me inspired to try some new things, like the circular needles. Which the hat (on said circular needles) is going wonderfully. I'll be sure to post a pic when it's done.

Good luck with those dropped stitches!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home