Monday, February 05, 2007

The Seam

Scratch what I said about it being cold on Saturday. Today is no comparison. Last night local schools cancelled today's classes because of the expected temperatures and wind chill. (The college did not.) I'd like to think that the cancellations were due to Columbus and suburban districts' administrators having a wild Super Bowl party that they knew they wouldn't recover from in time for work today.

I braved the element--wind--and went to a more sedate Super Bowl extravaganza than the imaginary educators' bash. I wore the hat, a component essential in keeping me from catching death. For the faint of heart, shield your eyes from this photo of the terrible seam.

See, I warned you. Yes, there is a hole. This is what I thought was the right side, but today I turned it inside out. The top looks better on the wrong side, or what I thought was the wrong side. I'm still clueless about that.

Anyway, thank you for the nice comments about it. My initial exasperation has mellowed into disappointment and acceptance. I felt better after wearing it awhile, and I know that I did a lot well. Most of it, in fact. Still, I cringe at the thought and sight of the seam. That's the thing. If I had knitted an adorably clumsy hat, I would probably feel better about the final result. Having done well until the last two steps has me imagining what could have been. There's no fixing it now. I should concentrate more on what I did right and less on what I messed up. I'm trying.

I hope that with the taping of tonight's two shows--the best and worst of the year in film and an Academy Awards preview--I can officially lay 2006 to rest. I stayed at the office until the library closed, but I left believing that things will slow down some. One can hope.

The tapings went okay, although like a certain ribbed hat someone made, I wish they were better. (I know I made my share of inane, off the cuff comments. Sometimes I'm on, sometimes I'm not.) Long ago I accepted that production would never go as smoothly as I'd like because the crew is comprised of students learning how to do everything. I can deal with that. Nevertheless, after putting in a lot of hours preparing the shows, it can be aggravating to have equipment malfunction (who needs three cameras?), crew members not show, and the teleprompter operator run it so you have to read... like... this... because the next words aren't on the monitor yet. They're done, though. To be honest, the hat seam sticks in my craw more, although the shows have a much greater chance of causing public embarrassment.

It's time for me to return my attention to Donna's scarf. Hmm, I nearly ripped that out a week ago until you all and Kristin intervened. Whatever the next project is--another hat? slippers?--I promise to give myself more leeway in not knitting its Platonic Ideal.

5 Comments:

At 6:36 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Ok, so the seam's a little wonky, but all in all, I am in love with your hat and think you did an excellent job w/ the ribbing! I would wear it proudly and never mention the seam again...just forget it's there : )

Enough of this cold weather, k? My living room thermometer reads 63 degrees and when it move it to the couch (which is next to the windows), it says 34 degrees...guess we should have put up the plastic, eh? Laziness strikes again. Seriously, though...we're ready for spring!

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Yes, the seam is a bit off kilter. Who taught you to seam it up? You? My point is, you're learning. Just like your students at the college. Get a book and practice seaming. Go to the hair accessories aisle and get some of those little spring-loaded hair clips and line up the next item you have to seam before you start sewing. Go to knittinghelp.com and watch a video on seaming techniques.

Wow, I'm bossy today. ;-) Feel free to ignore me!

Or you could knit your next hat in the round and avoid seams completely.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Yeah, hm, it's a seam. I haven't had to do one yet, so easy for me to say. On the rightside/wrongside thing, it's ribbing so it's the same on both sides ... so whatever you decide is the right side (preferably before doing the top and the seam) is the right side. Right?

Thanks for reminding us that you're human. Honestly, those ribs -- on your first real ribbed FO -- are so freaking gorgeous that it's annoying.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Who taught me to seam? Strictly self-untaught, if you'll permit me to create a word. There should be some help on the CD-ROM Kristin gave me, so I'll have to check that out. Good ideas, though. Thanks.

Now that you've seen the seam, at least my disappointment seems a little more earned, right? :)

Bad seam notwithstanding, I am wearing it. I'd freeze without it. (I've even worn it in my apartment so I don't go broke heating the place.) Glad to let you know I'm not superhuman, or I wasn't Sunday.

Can't say I get tired of the nice things you've said about my knitting. Keep 'em coming. :)

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Oh, we're on to you now!! Girls, he's just fishing for compliments!

I say we all abandon Mark until he leaves one comment for each of us on OUR blogs! LOL

(Just kidding, Mark)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home