Friday, February 02, 2007

The next project

When deciding upon length for the scarves I've knitted, I never took stretching into account. It makes sense that scarves in garter stitch will become longer with use, but it never occurred to me until I made scarves for myself and observed the phenomenon. Hopefully none of my gifts have grown too much that they're a nuisance.

I'm allowing for some scarf stretching with Donna's ribbed scarf, although my guess is that the ribs will prevent it from elongating as much. I've knitted 50 inches, so another ten to twelve ought to be sufficient. Per her request I'll add a fringe, and then it's done! Although the ribbing caused me a lot of aggravation in the beginning, I'm glad I decided to knit with this stitch pattern. If I didn't have to work during the day Saturday, I would probably be able to get this scarf and one for her husband Noel in the mail tomorrow. I'd say they will have to wait an extra day or two, but really, I'm the one who's going to have to wait. I'm eager to hear their reactions.

What's next? The time has come for me to make...a ribbed hat for myself.

Last Friday Kristin and I finally exchanged some Christmas gifts. (I told you the schedule has been insane. Was it really a month after the holiday?) She gave me the Coats & Clark Knitting Made Easy CD-ROM. She learned how to knit from it. I haven't had much time to use the CD-ROM, but it should be a big help in learning new things. Among the other knitting-related items were some patterns, including a hat that can be knitted on straight needles. There's also a pattern for slippers and, when I'm ready, a sweater. I'll stick with the hat for now.

I bought some longer US 6 needles today so I can cast on all 90(!) stitches. I can't wait to get started on the hat. It will match the first scarf I made for myself (see FO #13).

It's been colder of late, and I could really use a hat. Here you see what is was like this morning outside the Wexner Center for the Arts. (I was there for a screening that was a constant test of my ability to stay awake. Some of it was me, some of it was not being captivated by close-ups of Zidane running around the soccer pitch for an hour and a half.) There's very little snow accumulation here, but trust me, it's plenty frigid. I'm very glad to have my scarves. I need the hat as soon as possible.

Thank you for your comments about how many FOs I knitted last month. Maybe ignorance is bliss. I didn't think I completed that much, but if you say so... I'm not bored with scarves, which is apparently where a lot of new knitters lose interest. Could the secret be doing something different with them? When I complete Donna's scarf, I will have knitted seventeen. I've mixed up the type of yarn or style enough that it's still fresh to me. I'm even thinking about making another one for myself.

2 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Hats are fun! You will be amazed at how quickly a hat is finished after making scarves. :-)

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Aaahh...the lesson of the garter stretch...a good one to learn. I've made myself two scarves out of double-stranded Lion Brand Homespun yarn with size US 35 needles and boy, oh boy, have they stretched!! They touch the floor when I put them around my neck and I can wrap them three times around, which I love.

Can't wait to see your hat...you are gonna be amazed at how quickly it takes shape, if the pattern that you are using is how I imagine it to be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home