Tuesday, January 30, 2007

One scarf saved

You will be glad to know that Donna's scarf has been spared a seventh frogging.

In this case, being busy kept me from making a decision that I shouldn't have made. If I hadn't worked Sunday night or practically every waking hour on Monday, I know I would have ripped it all out. I almost did anyway, even though I didn't have time to knit. I wouldn't have regretted the decision, but it wouldn't have been necessary.

I showed the scarf to Kristin after this morning's screening, and she unknitted back to the source of the problems. Watching her undo stitch after stitch, it occurred to me that I may not have been doing it properly all this time. What she was doing looked a lot easier than my fumbling attempts at unknitting. I learned that I didn't have to undo purled stitches the way I had been trying. My method doubled the work necessary and may not have been correct. (I won't say it again, but I suppose the pandering joke is just waiting to be made. Just like a man, right?)

In addition to having lost a stitch when the last two slipped off the needle, I dropped a stitch in the middle of the row as well. Can't say I noticed that. Kristin fixed everything and told me that she thought the width was fine. And so, dear readers, the scarf was granted a stay of execution. There was much rejoicing.

Prior to detailing my first solo KIP, I mentioned that I purchased some yarn for a baby sweater.

It's Baby Bee Sweet Delight Pomp in mint charm. It's 54% acrylic, 36% polyamide (whatever that is), and 10% rayon. It's nice and soft and, I hope, a good color for an expected baby of an unknown gender. (As far as I know, the happy couple doesn't know either. About the gender, not the baby being expected. Obviously.) So this sale purchase goes right to the stash. I also picked up a ball of The Original Sugar 'n Cream cotton in sage green for dishcloths. For 99 cents, why not? This is how a stash slowly grows like a fungus, isn't it?

6 Comments:

At 6:31 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Glad to hear that the scarf has been saved, and also that you learned an easier way to unknit. And that baby yarn is sooo pretty...can't wait to see the sweater you choose to knit with it!

 
At 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The baby yarn is gorgeous, I can't wait to see it knitted up. You made me laugh with the comment about the parents not knowing... I'm also very glad to hear that the scarf is saved. Is there any chance of a wip photo of the said scarf?

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Wait, wait, wait, Mark. Fugus = bad. Stash = good. Say it with me. "Fungus, bad. Stash, gooooood." Find a better similie. Please?

I'm thrilled that the scarf has been saved. Your tenacity with frogging and starting over has been admirable, but I have to say I cringed every time you posted that you had done it again!

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger donnadb said...

Hooray! Thank you, Kristen!

And what baby item do you plan to make with that lovely mint yarn?

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

I'll have to think about posting a WIP photo. I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise for Donna, but if she doesn't mind...

I'm not sure when I'll begin the baby sweater. It's not going to be the next project. My friends aren't expecting the baby until June, I think, so I have some time, although January flew by. The baby sweater will be a trial run for making a sweater for myself. Maybe I ought to get started on it sooner than later.

I just have to be careful that my stash doesn't reach, say, the proportions of my collection of DVDs, CDs, and books. Otherwise the apartments I'm looking at moving into won't be big enough. :)

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Good work--you're developing those yarn stashing skills. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home