Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Things old and blue

I think the end of the tunnel is visible with my work load. I got a lot done today for our "special edition" shows, and I think I can complete everything tomorrow. I will be ecstatic if that's the case.

Periodically I have to purge a bunch of electronic press kits from my office lest they tower over me from all sides. I must have been overzealous the last time I trashed a bunch of tapes because I couldn't find some that I needed. I turned to something old: a show from January 2006 to see if I could lift some video from it.

I was shocked by what I saw: me. I've lost some weight in the last seven months, but I couldn't tell you how much. (I don't know when the last time I weighed myself was.) Over the past month or so people have been making nice comments about my appearance, which are always welcome, even if one person asked if the weight loss was due to illness. Seeing myself on this year-old tape dazed me momentarily. It made me realize I've lost more than I thought.

I wasn't the size of a pre-Subway diet Jared Fogle or anything, but I weighed more than I should. I got tired of feeling tired, so I buckled down, paid more attention to what I was eating and how much of it I was consuming, and tried to go to the 3.8 mile track at a nearby park for a walk or run five times a week. I didn't follow any diet or exercise program. I just did what made common sense: eat less, eat better, and exercise. I didn't stop eating junk, but I didn't eat it regularly. I needed to change habits. Once I put my mind to it, I found it wasn't as hard as I expected, although the results took a long time to show.

I would still like to lose more, but the weather and my schedule haven't been conducive to getting much exercise. I don't feel like I'm putting any weight back on, though. Nobody likes a braggart, so that's all I'll say about that.

I had hoped to get out of the office around 6:00. Since my last solo KIP attempt wasn't so successful from a knitting perspective, I thought tonight might be a good time to try again. Didn't happen, maybe Thursday.

I was going to work on something blue: Donna's scarf. Last night I finished the first ball of yarn, which sounds more impressive than it is. There are only 68 yards per 50 gram ball. I ordered four and think I have enough. Of course, I can knit at home, and that's what I'll do while I try to catch up on all of the recorded programs on my DVR and watch tonight's late Blue Jackets game. If I don't run into any problems, maybe I can finish it on Friday or Saturday and then send two scarves on the way to their rightful owners.

What's next? I've got a pretty good idea, but I'll save that for another day.

4 Comments:

At 3:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the weight loss! The way you've done it is probably the best way. Hope that the KIP goes well.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Way to go on living healthy! I just read an article this past week (where was that???) that said, "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." New York Times, maybe? And it went on to remind readers to avoid any foods that our great grandmothers wouldn't recognize as food. Makes sense.

I'm looking forward to reading that your scarf is finished... and about what is coming next. :-)

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Thanks.

I thought I had more to add, but I guess I don't. :)

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Great job on the weight loss. Being someone who has a life-long struggle with weight-loss, I can really appreciate your hard work. I'm not doing so hot on my plan right now, but I'm not beating myself up over it, either...with school and work stresses, I will try to be strong when I can and hopefully I can drop some more weight before my vacation in March, but I definitely would like to focus more on being healthy and then the weight loss should follow. The healthy lifestyle is most important, though, in my book anyway.

Can't wait to see Donna's scarf!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home