Thursday, January 25, 2007

Poked in the ribs

The first of two scarves headed for Arkansas is finished. The second has already been frogged once.

There's no way to write about this without revealing what I'm doing. Oh well. I thought I'd try knitting a ribbed scarf. See, I told you it isn't anything complicated.

Or isn't it? I know what ribs look like. My second coffee cup cozy is supposed to have them, although I don't really see them. They're a little more visible on the inside--yeah, I think I have the "right" side on the inside--but they don't line up, probably from the decreasing. Kristin has told me what to do, and I've looked it up online. I knitted an inch of Donna's scarf and didn't think it looked like any ribs were there.

The gauge wasn't right on my first attempt anyway, so frogging it was no big deal. Still, I think I'm doing it properly by alternating k2, p2, so the fact that it isn't turning out the way it should frustrates me. I'll give it another go tonight and see what happens. (Note to Donna: if you're thinking, "Blecch, a ribbed scarf," do me a favor and tell me. I'll make something else.)

I haven't suffered any knitting setbacks for awhile, so I had been thinking I might be able to finish this scarf by the end of the weekend. Now I see that fulfilling such high hopes will depend on if I figure out ribbing. More critical is if I will have any time to knit. As productive as I feel I've been this week, I'm looking at a mountain of work that needs to be completed by February 5, to say nothing of packing up my apartment. I've decided I should work all weekend. This is A Bad Decision in many ways, but if I can get to Monday feeling like I'm through the worst, perhaps I'll feel better. I have to work six hours Saturday as it is, although I can't use any of that time for the writing and editing I need to do for the special shows coming up.

The most aggravating thing is that I've been setting calendar markers and doing a good job of staying on top of things. Yet once I pass one of those points it's as though I discover that I was looking at only a quarter of what I need to do. It happens again and again.

Working all weekend doesn't fit in with my last resolution unless it's in a roundabout interpretation of it. (I'm taking better care of myself by getting that weight off my shoulders.) I've been taking vitamin C and a multivitamin every day, which I haven't done since I was a kid, so that's something. I know I'm due to get terribly sick, but I've fended it off...so far.

I'm glad everyone thought my stash looked cute in its little container. I'm up for any recommendations you have for smaller projects that can use up scrap yarn.

5 Comments:

At 4:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why you are having a problem with the ribbing, are you always knitting in the knit stitches and purling in the purl stitches?

Small amounts of yarn - striped beanies, kids sweaters or hats. I use my left over yarn to knit items for a local charity that provides clothes to babies born to impoverished parents - they actually accept all clothes for all ages.
You could also knit squares if the yarn is the same gauge and start a blanket... the possibilities are endless.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Karen said...

My first thought for you small amounts of yarn, since I also crochet, was granny squares. Ruth had good ideas also. Kids' hats or multi-striped hats are good for using up small amounts of yarn. You can also use those small amounts to practice different stitch patterns.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger donnadb said...

I think a ribbed scarf sounds wonderful. I like the way the one I'm working on looks, and if it were a different color, I'd be tempted to keep it. I'm tempted anyway.

I'll say this about ribbing -- it doesn't really look like ribbing until you've got several rows done. So I'd do a couple of inches before deciding that you're not doing it right.

k2p2 over and over and over ... nothing to it. You should be finishing a row with p2, and then when you turn it and start the next one, you are doing k2 (because you're knitting the other side of the p2 you just did). Is the problem that your stitch count isn't divisible by 4? That's the only way to end with p2 like you have to do.

Listen to me giving YOU advice! Hahahahaha! That's rich!

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I LOVE a ribbed scarf and yet haven't taken the time to make one for myself yet...kind of an issue I have w/ spending time one something for myself lol Anyway, Donna's advice sounds great, so if you are still having problems after that, I think maybe an appointment with Kristin might be in order ; )

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

I got it figured out, but as luck would have it, Kristin was coming by my office for a meeting about the film critics group awards. Between Donna's advice and Kristin's in-person approval, I know what I was doing wrong and that I'm doing it correctly now. I feel lucky to have so much wonderful help.

Thanks for the scraps ideas. Those projects may be headed for the back burner for now, but it's good to have this as reference.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home