Thursday, October 28, 2010

Trick or treat

Has Halloween always been a big thing for adults, or is it a more recent phenomenon? I ask on what is Beggar's Night in most local communities here. (I was at a hockey game, so no, I was not home and giving out candy or keeping the place dark to avoid trick or treaters.)

The last time I recall dressing up for Halloween was in junior high. I went trick or treating with some friends. I seem to remember feeling vaguely embarrassed that we were too old to be doing this. I don't think I've ever put on a costume for the holiday since.

When I was a college freshman I went to Athens, Ohio to see what the hubbub was all about for the infamous Halloween party that fills the streets around Ohio University, but I didn't dress up for it. (I also was probably one of the few without a drop of alcohol in me.) Honestly, seeing that mess once was plenty for me.

It seems like I'm behind the curve on Halloween for adults, which appears to be something of a big deal, not that I really feel like I'm missing out. Do I not have the "right" friends, or am I too lame? Possibly. But I don't recall my parents or other adults doing Halloween stuff when I was growing up. Then again, that might not be the right sample.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays :) and the boy is a big fan of dressing up. We both had moderately lame last minute costumes on last night while handing out candy but it was fun. Sadly we'll be missing the parties this year but next year the boy is talking about rigging up some sort of haunted house thingie for the neighbor kids to walk through.

On a side note, our neighbors are doctors, and weren't home for trick or treat and appropriately had their porch light off. Why do children not know that no porch light means no one is home?!?! I really wanted to holler that sage bit of advice to them across the street but I didn't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home