Sunday, October 24, 2010

An eye toward the holidays

My brother and sister-in-law are expecting a baby boy around Thanksgiving. For my family this means Christmas will be spent in Texas. I look forward to seeing my first nephew and getting out of town for about a week. I'm also steeling myself for the trials I foresee on the horizon.

This week I booked my flights into and out of Dallas-Fort Worth Airport. Aside from finding a ride to Port Columbus to leave town, I've taken control of what little is in my power. There's a whole lot that isn't.

Since there isn't room at my brother and sister-in-law's place for the five of us heading south--it isn't big enough, and her mother may be staying there anyway--we need to find a hotel. I've pointed my parents toward a couple places that can accommodate us at a reasonable price, will be close to my brother's condo and the airport, and permits pets. Yes, my parents are bringing their dog on the drive from Indiana, even though I know my brother and his wife wish they wouldn't. (In fairness, it would be difficult to ask someone else to watch after the dog over Christmas.)

Of course, what do they care if the dog won't be in their home or near the baby? Maybe they have no vested interest, but it turns out that I do. Hotels won't allow a dog to be left alone in the room, so this means at all times someone would need to hang back at the hotel. The latest I've heard is that my dad is now looking into cabins for our lodging, primarily for the ease of leaving the dog behind, although who knows where and how tight those quarters might be.

While the family vacation I decided to go on this past summer generally got by without everyone getting on each others' nerves, I'm already sensing that this Christmas trip is going to be different. I have half a mind to talk to one of my two other brothers and book a room where I want with him, although I know that won't fly. Plus, neither of us will have a car.

Whatever happens, it should be interesting. Let's just hope that it is in a positive way.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

That's Liz's old stomping grounds you should ask her fora heads up on an affordable solution. :)

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

There is an affordable solution. My dad's just overthinking it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home