Monday, October 18, 2010

Un-holey

See? No hole at the ankle! There's no hole on the other side too.

How did I do this? When I picked up stitches, I picked up high on the side but not from the strand being stretched between needles. It occurred to me that picking up there pulls down on it and thus creates a hole. I'm no genius for figuring this out--and it remains to be seen if I can repeat this success--but it fixes a problem I've encountered in sock knitting.

The toe is a little wonky because prior to doing the Kitchener stitch I moved three stitches from needle 1 to needle 2 and three from needle 2 to needle 3. (Needles 1 and 3 were then combined to have two needles for grafting.) I did this because you're supposed to stop knitting after needle 3, but that leaves the yarn hanging between the three stitches on one needle. I couldn't remember what I've done in the past--knit the three remaining stitches on needle one before doing the Kitchener stitch?--so I thought I'd try this out. I'm not sure it was the right idea.

But no holes at the ankle!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

Brilliant. That should definitely keep the holes closed up. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home