Sunday, July 11, 2010

Baby blue

Knitted Newborn Hat

Yarn: Dark Horse Yarns-Fantasy (50% nylon, 50% acrylic; worsted weight)
Colors: 14 and 16 (French blue and baby blue)
Needles: US 8 circulars
Stitches: 54

OK, so there's an FO for the future nephew.

I do believe it's the finest baby hat I've ever made. No ladders, no obvious beginning of the cast on row, and no apparent spot on the right side where I switched yarn. Even the decreases and crown look a little better knit than can sometimes be the case.

I've knit a lot of hats. Getting reacquainted with the baby hat allowed me to put that knowledge to use and make a really nice item. I'm thrilled with it and I expect my brother and sister-in-law will be too.

What I'm less thrilled about is this notion of other people in my family calling me "uncle". When my nephew arrives and is capable of talking, I'm fine with the kid referring to me by that word. I'm not so cool with my dad putting it before my name. Maybe it's the way that he said it--OK, that's part of, if not entirely, the issue--but I didn't like what I heard.

It's sort of like having students address me as Mr. (last name). It doesn't sound right to my ear. That being said, few students do this, and those who do are informed right away that that there is no need to be formal.

This is a hang-up I'm going to have to get over, isn't it?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home