Monday, July 05, 2010

Toes up

Let's talk toe up socks.

I've made two pairs of top down socks, both of which are wearable but have some minor problems that could likely be fixed by going the toe up route. (The first pair is a little loose. The cuffs on the second pair are a little tight.) I have fingering weight and worsted weight yarn, so patterns for either are acceptable.

At this point I'm going to avoid knitting two at a time. I'm not that experienced at sock knitting, and those I did make were knit nearly two years ago. I expect there's going to be a learning (or relearning) curve with whatever I end up selecting. I'm more comfortable taking incremental steps with this than giant leaps.

I'm looking for a basic--read: boring--pattern. Maybe this tool is what I'm looking for, but I know I have some knowledgeable sock knitters reading who might know exactly what I am seeking.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

Oh you should use my go to pattern for the boy's socks. It's fairly boring, we can help you when you get to the heel and the pattern is easy to memorize for the foot and leg.

On Your Toes Socks by Ann Budd I have the magazine it's in if you want to borrow it.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

You want the Universal Toe-Up Sock Formula from Knitty. Plug in your numbers, no guesswork, walks you through it, basic as all get-out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home