Monday, March 30, 2009

Festival views

I'm crashing pretty hard today as part of my post-film festival recovery. In the meantime I present a few pictures. Above you can get an idea of how many people were squeezing into the theaters. This picture was taken in the walkway outside the theater. The walkway also leads to Quicken Loans Arena, so imagine how crazy it was out there when people were also trying to get through here to go to a Cleveland Cavaliers game.

I realize this photo is dark, although this one has the lights up for the director's Q&A after the screening. The theaters are kept pretty dark even when they're just seating people. Most of the time I got my preferred seat on the aisle in a two- or four-seat row on the left at the back. Why that spot? More leg room, usually, and a quick exit to help with the rush to the restrooms afterward.

Here's an overview of the fountain area in Tower City Center. The food court area, which is where I spent the most time when I wasn't in a theater, is straight behind on that level, with the theater to the left.

And just because I think I've mentioned how I feel like the parking area underneath the building feels like a place where one would get murdered, especially when headed down here after a midnight screening, here's a picture of it. The low overhead beams with that mossy-looking substance on it and the darkness are definitely responsible for my impression of the place, although in fairness I've never been in danger down there.

Not a great bunch of photos, but with this being my fifth year attending the event, I didn't feel the need to take many this time around.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

I definitely can see the potential for scariness in that parking garage. I was recently in a parking garage that had motion activated lights so it got really bright as soon as you walked into but stayed dim when no one was around. I found that to be quite nice. :)

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Thanks for posting pics of Tower City! I loved to sit on the upper level of the food court so I could people watch. You were right under the road behind Tower City so you can feel the rumbling of the cars passing overhead.

I think the mossy stuff on the ceilings is a form of blown insulation. They put that up years ago.

I can't get used to calling the Gund Arena and the Jake anything else. pout.

The lower parking level is creepy. I'd forgotten how low the ceilings were.

Is the theater still a Hoyts? I had a buddy who worked there for awhile in college, he went to CIM.

For ages my sister and I would go to Tower City on Black Friday to shop and see a movie.

Sounds like you had a long but still fun Film Festival experience. Thanks for sharing with us.

You know what might be fun? A list of the movies you saw. I'll bet it is mind blowingly long.

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

In some of the movie theaters you can feel and hear the RTA trains.

Interesting to learn what the mossy stuff is. Makes sense, I guess. It does add to the creepy ambiance.

The theater is now run by Cleveland Cinemas. They're nothing fancy, but they're better than some give them credit for.

I've been updating my other site--and need to finish the reports--with the films seen. There will also be a list. If you don't know the URL, e-mail me for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home