Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Whiskers

Unintended as it may be, I now find myself with enough scruff on my chin and cheeks for it possibly to be called a beard. I didn't feel like shaving on Friday. The same went for Saturday. Why bother on Sunday? I planned to shave it on Monday, but again, I couldn't find the motivation to mess with the razor and shaving cream. Today it was going to be gone, but with the temperature dropping into the low twenties and headed lower, I figured it was a little extra protection against the cold.

If anything, the temporary facial hair is a way of mixing up how I look, even so I seem a little less familiar to myself in the mirror. It's not like I can do anything with my hair to change things up. As easily as it grows on my face, it just as fervently is receding atop my head. Can't say I'm thrilled about it, but what am I gonna do? (The answer: nothing. When it's gone, it's gone.)

The thing is, I'm not necessarily crazy about the beard. It comes in well enough, except the bristles tend to be lighter in color than my dark brown hair. Some small spots are even *gasp* gray. (Seriously, cut it out nature. I'm not that old yet, and you've already taken enough too soon.) I have noticed that if I look at this nascent beard when the light isn't shining on it, it appears darker, so I don't know what exactly is going on.

At five days' growth, going on six, the beard is on the verge of looking scuzzy and becoming an irritation to me. Not yet, but close. There is something strangely appealing about letting it grow as a statement of disaffection, however. Having it is a little like wearing a mask too.

When I shave it off, which will be soon enough, the same old me will look brand new again...and probably sport a nick or two from shearing it.

And no, you're not getting a picture.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 7:25 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Awww!! C'mon! :)

 
At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My beard has become rather scruffy as well. ;)

Actually one time my dad either grew a goatee or shaved his mustache (I can't remember which) and no one in the family noticed until the check out lady at the general store said something about it. :P My dad was all sad we didn't notice. ;)

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are not stressing about the hairline. Have you tried shaving your head? It is more upkeep if you want to keep it smooth but it can be a very cool look.

Have fun with the fuzzy face until you are done. :-)

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

I wouldn't quite say that I don't stress about the hairline--I do--but I am resigned to what biology has handed me.

I don't foresee shaving my head, not now anyway. (And certainly not in these frigid temperatures!) Then again, I've never been one to take chances in my appearance.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Noel is posting his Sundance beard on Facebook. It's a gauntlet thrown at your feet, in my opinion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home