Saturday, January 24, 2009

Second time around

I'm currently knitting my own dischloth pattern for another friend who writes for the same outlet. Knitting it again gives me a chance to evaluate my own pattern-writing since enough time has passed that I don't know exactly what each stitch is doing while I knit it.

My first observation is that it truly does knit up quickly as long as I'm not trying to do anything else, like be involved in a conversation--it's not a good knit night project--or watch television. If I devote my full attention to it, I can knock out one in a single sitting lasting three or four hours.

While I know why I wrote out the k3 side border on every row--it made it easier to understand where I was in the pattern--it probably isn't necessary and just makes more stuff to read and mess up. Nevertheless, there's still some value in idiot-proofing the pattern. I know that in my early knitting days I got annoyed with patterns that assumed I know what they were talking about without fully explaining it. So newbies, that one's for you.

Lastly, I can't wait to see when someone has one of these on her own project page. I've received scattered hits from presumably curious knitters, but so far I haven't come across any works in progress or FOs. I know there's a very small number of people who might even consider making it--or who would even think of looking for it--but all I'm looking for is one. (And no, Donna, this is not a callout or challenge.)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

I do have the perfect ball of kitchen cotton for it. But given that I'm picking projects randomly out of my bagged-up stash this year, it might be a while before I get to it. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home