Thursday, January 15, 2009

Cool as ice

While the subzero temperature, wind chill advisory, and a 9:45 p.m. average time getting home this week had me ready to skip knit night, I faced the cold and went. When it's that cold outside, the car's heater is fighting a losing battle. Sure, it was blowing warm, but it didn't feel especially hot in the frigid air.

Maybe it was chill-inspired speed, but I got a lot of knitting done. I'd forgotten how quickly the Seaman's Cap knits up once you get past the ribbed cuff. I started the evening with the needle size switch and stockinette portion. Now I'm nearly to the point where I begin decreasing.

My initial concern of not achieving row gauge was misplaced. The folded cuff will be prominent but not overly large. I've tried on the hat as best as I can with it being on circs. When done it should have a snug fit that's just right.

The one thing I'm not certain of is exactly how it will look. The yarn is hand dyed. In the right light, the cuff appears like it might be striped. I'm not saying this is necessarily a negative but that it isn't quite what I expected. However it turns out, the blues in the hat are well-suited to the color of the light this time of year.

Anyway, I know this isn't earth-shaking news, but at least I had something knitting-related to write about today. Depending how much I stay in tomorrow, perhaps I'll have an FO to show off in 24 hours.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your hat is looking good. :) I can't wait for the weather to warm up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home