Monday, November 17, 2008

Fashion vs. utility

The Holding Hands, Feeding Ducks scarf is coming along nicely. It may turn out to be a much faster knit than I was anticipating, although its 3.75" width may have something to do with that. (OK, it has everything to do with it being a quick knit.)

Since all of a sudden having enough yarn becomes a non-issue, the question turns to length. This is where I could use some input. It's going to my sister-in-law who lives in the Dallas area. While it can get cold there, I expect they didn't receive their first snow of the season like we did today.

So I'm envisioning this scarf as serving more of a fashion purpose than a cold weather-inhibiting one. If being used as an accessory, how long should the scarf be? I'm thinking longer than usual, but I accept that I also have no idea what I'm talking about.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dallas does get snow and can get cold. I think the standard scarf length for a lady her height should work out fine. Even if it is a fashion statement :)

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Doniamarie said...

I would say make it a bit longer. The cool thing about DFW is that you can usually go out with a sweater on and a scarf looped around your neck - or, at least, that's what I do! :-)

 
At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Living in the Deep South, scarves are certainly more of an accessory than a necessity, but it is always good to have something to protect against a chilly wind.

Regardless of the utility or the width, I like my scarves to hang anywhere between the lower hip and above the knee (depending on whether or not it is looped around my neck or just draped). Being only 5'4", that's about six feet of scarf. It's all personal preference, but I don't think it's critical.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home