Thursday, October 02, 2008

Hey, hey, what can I do

Temperatures stayed on the chilly side today, so for the first time this season I wore long sleeves. I'm going to have to remember how to knit with those. After three days away from the needles, I picked them back up and kept getting them snagged in my sleeves. It didn't help that I felt like I was knitting in slow motion while parked at knit night. The week was catching up with me, and I could feel myself fading earlier than usual. Plus, I needed to get home to watch the Vice-Presidential debate and test whether or not my head would explode. (And in a really nerdy way I wanted to see the venue because I've broadcast basketball from there.)

I showed off the first sock of the pair at the gathering and was particularly gratified when a non-knitter expressed amazement at what I'd done. (Using four dpns makes it look incredibly complicated.) To be sure, I appreciated the other knitters' compliments. Such words make me feel like I can pass for a knitter. The opinion of a non-knitter, though, reminded me of how mysterious this whole knitting thing can be to those who don't do it.

It was a little less than two years ago that I began to have knitting demystified. I wasn't sure if I could do it. Looking back, it seems like a silly attitude to have held, but that too reveals how far I've come. I wouldn't put my current skill level any farther than beginner--maybe advanced beginner if I'm feeling generous--but I've come quite a ways. Who'da thunk it?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your socks are looking great. My first two or three pairs were pretty atrocious. What super challenging thing do you want to demystify next? Have you done cables? Those are a fun one to demystify.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

In the words of the old Virginia Slims ads "You've come a long way, Baby" :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home