Friday, October 10, 2008

The way of the dinosaur continues

As I said the first time I created this meme, I would like to think I'm a progressive guy. I'm up to speed with a lot of things, but I am out of step with some of modern life's ways and tastes. Here are some more:

1. I have a tape deck in my car. Granted, I use a cassette adapter to play an iPod through the radio, but my car must have been made at the tail end of of tape decks being standard instead of CD players. On a side note, my car also has manual locks and windows. (Yes, it does have power brakes and steering.) This is merely a matter of circumstance than active choice.

2. I only use a cell phone for phone calls. I don't text message. My phone now has a camera in it, but I've never taken a photo and haven't felt a need to do so. I've never used it to browse the internet, watch video, or download a ringtone. For that matter, I've never changed any of the settings, including the wallpaper.

3. I don't use social networks. I know, I'm on Ravelry, but I don't think of it primarily in those terms. Years ago I created but never updated (or ever check) pages on Friendster and MySpace. So far I have refused to sign up for Facebook, mostly due to a work-related incident a few years ago in which I was the target of some unkind commentary. (That's also part of the reasoning behind why I blog pseudo-anonymously here and what keeps me under wraps on those occasions when I think about lifting the veil.) Perhaps if I ever open that Pandora's box, it will not be under my name.

4. I don't use grocery shopper loyalty cards. At this point everything one buys probably gets tracked and is part of a data profile unless you use cash, but Kroger's introduction of these particular cards riled me up so much that I stopped shopping there altogether. The tracking in exchange for coupons or price cuts irked me. What really put me against these cards, though, was the inherent dishonesty in the discounts they supposedly gave. The prices were outrageous without the cards; with them, the prices were higher than before the loyalty cards were instituted. Nice racket. At least Meijer has held out.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I miss having a tape deck in my car. They are getting harder and harder to find period. Which is bummer considering all of the great mixed tapes I have. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home