Saturday, August 30, 2008

O my

Until today I hadn't attended any campaign stops, which is hard to believe considering the election seems like it's been going on for ages. (The Arcade Fire for Obama concert doesn't count.) With the Democratic ticket dropping by a few miles from my apartment and nothing on my schedule, I decided that this was as good a time as any to go to a rally. They'd probably never get any closer--I could have walked there in an hour or so--and I was curious.

I took the advice of someone who attended an Obama rally a few months ago and showed up at 1:30, three hours before the gates were scheduled to open. (Tack on another two and a quarter hours before the event was supposed to start.) I had little trouble getting a nearby parking spot. Eventually I found the end of the line, which had snaked around the trees and was starting another curve by the time I arrived. (The above picture was taken about two and a half hours later.)

I would have brought knitting, but attendees were encouraged to bring as few personal items as possible. Instead I loaded up with my camera, iPod, a bottle of water, an emergency poncho, a pen, and The New York Times Sunday at Home Crosswords. If I was going to stand and sit around for hours, I needed something to keep me occupied. Luckily I was able to stand in the shade during most of the wait.

In line brief conversations were struck up, usually more about event logistics and Ohio State football updates than politics. Vendors hocking t-shirts, buttons, and hats roamed the lines and set up shop in the middle of it all. Enterprising neighborhood residents lugged around coolers on wheels to sell pop and water to those who didn't bring any liquid refreshment or had already consumed it.

You did not need to have a ticket to gain admittance to the event, but in a savvy maneuver, campaign volunteers passed out pink and yellow tickets that were really a way of collecting contact information from those who'd come. I've attended a few Presidential campaign events during prior elections, but I was especially impressed with the organization of this particular one. Sure, it was a hassle waiting so long and going through security, but the atmosphere and speed with which everything moved was pretty remarkable.

The gates opened a half hour early, and before long I took my stage left bleacher seat. For as long as people had waited and would still have to wait, I was impressed with the good spirits everyone was in. When music began to play, people were dancing and clapping and generally having fun. It's easy to get jaded about politics and politicians, and there's nothing to guarantee those I was there to see won't let me down. Still, it was inspiring to see the diverse crowd that gave up a significant portion of their Saturday to listen to a man they believe has their and the nation's bests interests at heart.

I've seen today's crowd estimated at 20,000. Sitting in the stands I was astonished watching the people pour into the place while the ends of the lines never seemed to come. (In the picture above, you can see a line in the distance emerging from the trees. This is more than two hours after the gates opened and the event had begun, and that was not a primary line.)

I didn't grow up in a particularly political family. My parents didn't advertise who they voted for, and until recent years I don't know that I could have pegged their leanings. I suspect they've grown more progressive, which would have surprised the childhood me and pleases my adult self. It's not so much about them accepting my political values--I expect we still differ in some areas--but that they're displaying the willingness to continue examining issues and not staying locked in a mindset.

If you watched the Democratic National Convention, the speeches given here weren't demonstrably different from those delivered to a national audience. Really, this seemed more about keeping up enthusiasm to me. The proceedings had a call and response vibe, which can be something to behold with this many people involved. Maybe if enough people believe and work toward it, miracles can happen. Good grief, the headliners took to the stage at the listed start time, which has never happened in my experience with political events.

Considering all the enmity that engenders today's political discussions, I tend to avoid them completely with those who disagree with me and those whose views I don't know. It's also why, for the most part, I've skirted such talk in this ostensibly political post. Yes, it's my blog, meaning I can say what I want, but I'm not looking to rile up those who prefer other candidates. Nor am I interested in engaging in a debate about it. From time to time this knitting blog strays off-topic and covers what I've done for the day. This is what I did today.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8:06 AM, Blogger donnadb said...

I'm envious of you. You were witnessing history -- both the candidate and the enthusiasm he generates. This is our Kennedy moment. Don't have a second thought about reveling in it.

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous pictures and commentary! I wanted to go to the Dublin rally and was not able to attend. I LOVE reading first hand accounts of Obama/Biden events.

Here is a post about the Historic acceptance speech event at Mile High Stadium, the pictures are fascinating.

http://3ofswords.livejournal.com/68274.html

Now to find a post detailing the Stephanie Tubbs Jones memorial service at Public Hall up in Cleveland.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I'm thrilled that you got to attend. When I saw Obama in February, it was incredible. Historical. Now that he is indeed the nominee, and on the ballot, it's even more so.

This morning, at the pet supplies store, I spoke to a woman who was spending her last $2.00 to buy bird seed for her kids' parakeet. She was debating turning it loose because she couldn't afford it anymore. Enough!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home