Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Return to the Red Scarf Project

All right, so the pattern I'm knitting for my contribution to the Red Scarf Project is very, very easy, but it produces a distinct design and looks more complicated than it actually is. I'm slipping the first stitch and knitting the last one to make a selvage so that the scarf won't curl.

Sure, I don't have much done, but this early into the project I can tell that the final result ought to be pretty striking even though it's about as basic as knitting gets. That's one of the needlecraft's primary aspects that appeals to me. With a minimum of technique I can make something that looks fantastic.

Originally I cast on 23 stitches to US 8s. The stitches weren't quite as tight as I liked, and the width was probably too narrow even for admitted preference. (I don't know if I've stated it before, but why bother making a scarf really wide if it's just going to be folded in half anyway?) I frogged everything, switched to US 7s, and cast on 29 stitches. I'm happier with the closeness of the stitches now. While it may still appear to be on the narrow side, I know that it ought to be fine once the scarf has some length.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home