Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Buy or sell?

So I've done a little research into market bags as a next project, and I've gotta say that I'm becoming less and less convinced. It may be my default mode of seeing something and determining I can't do it or that I'm thick after a long couple of days at the grindstone.

Take, for instance, the Everlasting Bagstopper. At first glance it seems easy enough to knit, but the questions come fast and furious. For instance, what's a wrong side row if you're knitting in garter stitch? Is it just whichever side you choose? This "turn the corner" business loses me. And, oh yeah, that seems like an awful lot of stitches to pick up, and where are they being picked up from in the first place?

But these questions have nothing on the bigger problems I foresee if I undertake this project. Handles? Sewing? DRAWSTRING?! That's enough to put the kibosh on it for me right there...except this wouldn't be unique to this market bag but all of them. (There's another option, but the directions for the handle makes my head hurt.)

I was joking yesterday with my comment about being intimidated once I looked at patterns, but I fear I know myself too well in matters such as these.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:11 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Turn the corner isn't so tough... look at the bottom (base) of the bag. It's roughly rectangular. You'll turn the corner as you pick up more stitches on the long side and turn again to pick up fewer stitches on the short side, working your way around. The bottom of the bag is knit first, then you work up.

 
At 1:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep you kind of just pick which side is the wrong side. Typically it's just the second side you knit but just remember to pick early on. I bet if you wanted to try something a little more challenging folks at knit night would be happy to show you how to pick stitches.

You can do it. Keep the faith! :)

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

I did three i-cords and braided them for the handles of mine -- no sewing for me. The picking up stitches around the edges of the flat-knit bottom isn't tough in conception, although before I knew Magic Loop, it was a bit tough in execution. And I left off the drawstring. Handles are just knitting. Nothing to worry about. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home