Friday, June 20, 2008

Pull!

To center pull or not... I switched to this method a few months ago, but I've been having a devil of a time pulling from the middle with one of the skeins in use for my current WIP. Somehow both ends were wrapped around each other inside the skein in a highly aggravating way. I would knit for a short period and then have to stop to untangle.

It finally reached the point where I had to cut the yarn to pick through all the knots and twists. Now I'm not beyond making a mess of things, but it sure seemed as though the way the skein's innards came from the manufacturer was screwy.

In the end I probably spent as much time untangling and wrapping yarn as I did knitting. One skein of CotLin is now in a ball that will roll all over the place but which will still be less frustrating to knit with.

Previously I've mentioned that the Chevron Stripes Hand Towel is an endurance test. Repeat these 12 rows 26 times?! I have 22 repeats to go. Those I've already done have taken quite awhile. I'm happy with what I see, but I simply don't think I'll ever have the patience to make another one of these.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 8:32 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

The cure for endurance projects, strangely enough, is more complicated ones. Something that changes up a lot gives you something to look forward to and a sense of progress.

The only time I ever knit from the center of a ball was when I did two-at-a-time socks for Sock Wars III out of one ball of Tofutsies -- knitting one sock from the center end and one from the outside end. I was terrified that it was going to be a tangled mess, but it was not bad at all. But I have much more tolerance for balls flopping about than I do for rooting around in the center of the ball looking for the end, then watching the ball collapse in on itself as I knit it down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home